GPS tags for dementia patients

Canadian Joanne

So can I. Although I see the point of how a GPS tag could save someone's life, I quite honestly don't think the button on the tracking device will do any good. It would only work if it could be added inconspiciously to the person's clothing. So I don't know how effective it would be.

As for the "inhumane" part, I think that's a bit of a over-reaction. Embarrassing, if the person realizes it, and infantilizing but inhumane is OTT. As for the councillor who wonders if the person with dementia would want to wear such a device as it could infringe on their rights, I think he doesn't know a great deal about dementia. Perhaps he should speak to someone who has had a loved one who wandered off and died.

Carabosse

I know its not funny, but I have joked a few times with mum that I needed to have GPS on her. When we were out shopping (not long after she was diagnosed) she would say she needed the toilet I would say I would meet her say outside the shop (or the one next door), needless to say she would never be where we agreed to meet, hence the joke of the GPS!
You do get a GPS device in skiing jackets or trousers incase there is an avalanche and they can try and locate you, that has been around for a while.

I would never get the tag on my MIL! She would go mad! And surely if they are able to be 'tagged' then would they still be able to get out? We just lock the doors so MIL is unable to 'escape'

1954 x:confused:

Charlyparly

I don’t think it’s “barbaric” in the general sense of the word because as you say, if it helps find a missing, vulnerable person and saves a life it can’t be an entirely bad thing. I’d be more concerned that someone would need to have a history of wandering or going missing for some time to warrant the tag being fitted in the first place because in that case, their existing living arrangements clearly aren’t working and their safety already an issue. GPS tags can’t replace proper care and supervision for someone that’s been identified with that level of risk.:eek:

byrnedjp

Tags

Its just basic ignorance and lacking in sensitivity, compassion and imagination....How long do you think it took the "brains trust" at the NHS to come up with this ...??
( 6 months of meetings, expenses paid, 1 carer asked their view, Government approved,,,done) ....

Dogs are tagged as are Criminals .......

Its just an example of a complete lack of understanding of the unfortunate human beings who have been struck by this. It is now almost daily that as a carer i am ashamed and embarrassed by how we approach this disease.........................

Carabosse

As I mentioned in the other post for this topic, GPS tags are fitted into some ski jackets/ trousers incase there is an avalanche you can be found quickly (you activate it before you hit the slopes so the authorities know), maybe that is the way to go of putting the tracking device into the sufferers clothes without them knowing, and as far as I know you can wash the clothes as per normal, my ski jacket has one and it still works not sure when i'll get back to the slopes for any skiing though!

tre

This was discussed on Radio 4 this morning. I think it might be useful for a dementia sufferer who lives with their carer but may wander when their back is turned. Some one I met who cares for his wife with dementia was absolutely distraught when he found his wife was not upstairs as he had thought but had gone from the property. She was missing for over a hour and luckily was spotted by a kind person who realised she was lost and could not give her name or address, invited her in for a cuppa and alerted the police. If she had one of these, then her husband could make sure she remembered to wear it and should she slip out again she could be more easily found.

But, for a person with dementia living alone I think it is not so useful. Firstly, how would you ensure it was worn. Secondly, it seems a bit inhumane to substitute this for providing more care. When my mum who had vascular dementia reached the wandering stage she basically had the reasoning power of a toddler as regards risk assessment. Would anyone suggest that it was OK to tag a toddler with one of these and then leave them to their own devices?

The lady on the radio, from Christchurch I think, who was advocating these GPS trackers said that they saved money on police searches and helicopters etc. and were given to people who had previuosly wandered off. It struck me that this was the nub of it, not what was appropriate for the dementia sufferer but that it saved money.
Tre

jan1962

GPS tracking

Hi all,

not posted a lot lately but have been reading your posts.

i am sitting watching This Morning and the have been discussing GPS tracking for people with dementia. some of the responses have left me cold. Some of the responses have been from people who have any idea what it is like and the risks involved. they think that the persons right of choice and freedom are more important than the person being safe.

to me if in later life i have dementia i would not object to anything that will keep me safe. i have sat down with my daughter and told her in no instance should she hesitate to put me into a care home and if need put a tracking device on me.

jan1962

cragmaid

" Barbaric"....BAH!!!!!!!

This article made me furious:mad::mad: no, not with the concept of a Dementia sufferer wearing a GPS Tracking Device, but with the calling of the act " Barbaric". No one was suggesting that the GPS device be worn subcutaneously. Neither was there any mention of a patient being dragged, kicking and screaming back to the hospital against their will. Yes I have my dog microchipped, it is called acting reponsibly. Why should it be any less responsible to have a Dementia sufferer carry something which cannot be lost in order to identify their needs. There is no suggestion that the GPS takes the place of caring, surely it demonstrates the act of caring even more.
I would have given a lot to have had my mother wear such a device when she was wandering the streets late at night, with a handbag with keys and purse, dark clothing and no white cane ( she is blind too). I probably would not have been able to persuade her to voluntarily wear a bracelet or necklace, but something which could not have been removed would have, potentially, been a life saver. I spent hours and hours scouring dark roads and streets looking for her and was telephoned on more than on occasion by strangers who had found Mum wherever she ended up. Thank God she was lucky enough to be found by the Good Guys.

I would also like to add that if wearing this device saves money...then is that really such a bad thing? It frees up manpower to police the streets more thoroughly. A manhunt with helicopters and ground searchers costs an enormous amount of money.

KatieB

I agree. Tag me when the time comes. Having spent the last year constantly trying to find my dad, I would have paid anything to have him tagged. The daily dangers dementia patients face are unthinkable. I have lost count of the times the emergency services have had to becalled to help find him. I am all for it.

flowerpot

This article made me furious:mad::mad: no, not with the concept of a Dementia sufferer wearing a GPS Tracking Device, but with the calling of the act " Barbaric". No one was suggesting that the GPS device be worn subcutaneously. Neither was there any mention of a patient being dragged, kicking and screaming back to the hospital against their will. Yes I have my dog microchipped, it is called acting reponsibly. Why should it be any less responsible to have a Dementia sufferer carry something which cannot be lost in order to identify their needs. There is no suggestion that the GPS takes the place of caring, surely it demonstrates the act of caring even more.
I would have given a lot to have had my mother wear such a device when she was wandering the streets late at night, with a handbag with keys and purse, dark clothing and no white cane ( she is blind too). I probably would not have been able to persuade her to voluntarily wear a bracelet or necklace, but something which could not have been removed would have, potentially, been a life saver. I spent hours and hours scouring dark roads and streets looking for her and was telephoned on more than on occasion by strangers who had found Mum wherever she ended up. Thank God she was lucky enough to be found by the Good Guys.

I would also like to add that if wearing this device saves money...then is that really such a bad thing? It frees up manpower to police the streets more thoroughly. A manhunt with helicopters and ground searchers costs an enormous amount of money.

I agree totally with the above as when I first saw this on the news yesterday I thought that it was an excellent idea. I won't start on what all the so called 'do gooders' and 'tree huggers' think as this is usually where all the money is wasted anyway!! If my MiL wasn't immobile and was apt to wander off I would want one for her just for the peace of mind! Hopefully they will be worth there weight in gold in time to come with the lives that are saved.

winda

I agree too. These people obviously have no experience of dementia and the issues associated with it.

byrnedjp

Tags

Reading through replies....agree with a lot said.
Of course its right and proper if the Police find this a more effective measure and if money is saved then , yes what is wrong with that?
Also if Family find this in some way an assurance then of course its right to have a level of faith in its use.

Just think that its too basic and simple to apply these measures to human beings.

stevew

Sounds a great idea but worry how this may work in reality. Would we need to think about human rights, if this comes into play,. I wish my relatives had such a device and perhaps they could have been helped much earlier and stayed in their own home with appropriate support, rather than them in a nursing home and having to sell their house to pay care home fees.

flowerpot

Reading through replies....agree with a lot said.
Of course its right and proper if the Police find this a more effective measure and if money is saved then , yes what is wrong with that?
Also if Family find this in some way an assurance then of course its right to have a level of faith in its use.

Just think that its too basic and simple to apply these measures to human beings.

Why have something complicated! If it works it will be so worthwhile remember the saying 'KISS' 'keep it simple stupid'

Chrissie1

Tags for dementia sufferers

Those who say this is barbaric have obviously not gone through the trauma of having someone they care about go missing!

My mum lives in supported housing as she couldn't manage living on her own. There are carers 24/7 BUT they can't (legally) and will not try to stop her from leaving the building (even when she could easily be distracted from doing so). The first time she wandered the staff didn't notice she hadn't come back after almost 4 hrs. After walking approx. 4 miles she wandered into a pub where people realised she had a problem, found her address, called a taxi and sent her back . This week another resident's daughter saw her a few miles from home and called them to say where she was. They called me at work but by the time I got to the location it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. I got family to help and after half an hour I had to go to the police. Fortunately again someone had found her and taken her to the security people in a shop, they called the police and they realised who it was and thankfully she was quite safe. Next time who knows.

If this technology is made widely available I would definitely want it for my mum because one day those kind people might not be around to help. I want my mum to be treated with dignity and respect but I also want her to be safe!

byrnedjp

Tags

Why have something complicated! If it works it will be so worthwhile remember the saying 'KISS' 'keep it simple stupid'

No mention of complicated, just said it was too simple a solution

Thanks for reply. Kiss to you too

Last edited: