GP assessment

nnbq

Jun 25, 2024
Hello everyone I am new to the forum.

I think my mother has dementia, she cannot remember conversations, cannot use computerised telephone systems and is continually withdrawing cash. I have done clinical research in this area and suspect she is stage 3

She has a morning carer following a fall and broken hip. I do not know if she has had a GP assessment or memory tests. We do not get on and she will not discuss her health with me. She falls regularly but never tells me. She has a Careline pendant but I took myself off the contact list as I cannot physically assist her and am not willing to support her

I will be frank I do not get on with her, we frequently argue and after 10 minutes with her i want to smack her, I never have as I have enough self awareness to leave. She refuses to go into care and I refuse to support her in her home. If asked to do so I would cite it as a safeguarding issue. I have a financial LPA but refused to take on a health and welfare LPA.

I am an only child and about to move away from the area . I do her shopping weekly and give her cash. I suspect she won't manage without me nearby. Can I force a GP assessment?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I dont think you can force anyone to do anything

What benefit do you imagine that an assessment will bring?

nnbq

Jun 25, 2024
Good question and other than suspension of council tax I am not sure. I don't think she is safe in her home nor do other people who have suggested she be assessed. What is the purpose of a GP assessment, would a social care assessment be more appropriate?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good question and other than suspension of council tax I am not sure. I don't think she is safe in her home nor do other people who have suggested she be assessed. What is the purpose of a GP assessment, would a social care assessment be more appropriate?

You might find this link helpful.

nnbq

Jun 25, 2024
You may find this helpful
Thanks this clearly states I need her consent for a carers assessment which I won't get. Do I need her consent for a GP assessment? A diagnosis could be helpful

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @nnbq and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am not clear that a GP assessment would make much of a difference, even if your mother was willing to keep an appointment. There's plenty of examples here where a visit to the GP has led to very little. There's no certainty of a referral to a memory clinic, and without that little prospect of a diagnosis.

You have a clear view of your own level of involvement, which will not be sustained once you move away. If she is unable to live independently a crisis might be precipitated and it would be up to social services to act. You could prepare the ground by informing social services that you need to reduce or stop your input to her care. Point out that she is vulnerable and that this is a safeguarding issue, then leave it to social services.

nnbq

Jun 25, 2024
Thanks @northumbrian_k that confirms what I suspected that something bad has to happen to her for her to be moved into care.

I did consider contacting social services last year when she had a fall but concluded they would not intervene as she was not injured and denied she fell. I have had neighbours telling me she is unsafe and I should do something, next time I will tell them to report her if they are that concerned.

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Even if you did get a GP assessment, the referral time which would then follow to a memory clinic may be long. Having scored 1/10 at the GP, Mum waited over 9 months for a memory clinic appointment and after that a diagnosis.
In reality, you wait for a crisis (in Mum’s case a hospital admission for delirium). Even then social services were not particularly bothered when they established Mum was self funding!

lynnefisher

Jul 1, 2024
Even if you did get a GP assessment, the referral time which would then follow to a memory clinic may be long. Having scored 1/10 at the GP, Mum waited over 9 months for a memory clinic appointment and after that a diagnosis.
In reality, you wait for a crisis (in Mum’s case a hospital admission for delirium). Even then social services were not particularly bothered when they established Mum was self funding!
Yes exactly the same experience with my mum. Months to get anywhere for memory clinic testing only for them to give mum a good pass score with only mild cognitive impairment as a dignosis when it was obvious she had dementia. Then passing another test a year later and being signed off the system altogether. Then finally, two years later just as i was about to get the testing rolling once again, she has a fall in her bungalow, ends up in hospital with worsened dementia and no talk about a diagnosis from any health professionals as she's now self funding in a care home, needing 24 hour care. All of this shift took only 4 weeks!

So yes... you wait for a crisis and then the system kicks in fast. Too fast and very overwhelming for all concerned. A hug for you from one stressed daughter to another.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hello everyone I am new to the forum.

I think my mother has dementia, she cannot remember conversations, cannot use computerised telephone systems and is continually withdrawing cash. I have done clinical research in this area and suspect she is stage 3

She has a morning carer following a fall and broken hip. I do not know if she has had a GP assessment or memory tests. We do not get on and she will not discuss her health with me. She falls regularly but never tells me. She has a Careline pendant but I took myself off the contact list as I cannot physically assist her and am not willing to support her

I will be frank I do not get on with her, we frequently argue and after 10 minutes with her i want to smack her, I never have as I have enough self awareness to leave. She refuses to go into care and I refuse to support her in her home. If asked to do so I would cite it as a safeguarding issue. I have a financial LPA but refused to take on a health and welfare LPA.

I am an only child and about to move away from the area . I do her shopping weekly and give her cash. I suspect she won't manage without me nearby. Can I force a GP assessment?
There's no law that says that you're responsible for you Mother and her care is the responsibility of social services. Suggest that you tell SS that you're walking away and have no interest in her future care or welfare. You also need let the OPG know that you have no interest in your Mother and cancel your LPA.

TheCoachman

Nov 11, 2023
Yes exactly the same experience with my mum. Months to get anywhere for memory clinic testing only for them to give mum a good pass score with only mild cognitive impairment as a dignosis when it was obvious she had dementia. Then passing another test a year later and being signed off the system altogether. Then finally, two years later just as i was about to get the testing rolling once again, she has a fall in her bungalow, ends up in hospital with worsened dementia and no talk about a diagnosis from any health professionals as she's now self funding in a care home, needing 24 hour care. All of this shift took only 4 weeks!

So yes... you wait for a crisis and then the system kicks in fast. Too fast and very overwhelming for all concerned. A hug for you from one stressed daughter to another.
Thank you for you posts - I feel so trapped by the system - have had enough - I wish I had never accepted my mum moving near me. It's so awful (mum self funding) so I now have to step back as things get worse - let her flounder and wait for the crisis (she's in denial so won't accept carers or care home) untill such a crisis forces her !
... so so so very sad that the system works this way !
Very very best wishes to you

lynnefisher

Jul 1, 2024
Thank you for you posts - I feel so trapped by the system - have had enough - I wish I had never accepted my mum moving near me. It's so awful (mum self funding) so I now have to step back as things get worse - let her flounder and wait for the crisis (she's in denial so won't accept carers or care home) untill such a crisis forces her !
... so so so very sad that the system works this way !
Very very best wishes to you
To you too!