Gp’s won’t speak to each other or us

Muddi

Aug 5, 2022
My mom went into Care on Monday it was all pretty quick but social Care found her a place within days. My dad has been crushing her tablet and mixing with a little cordial as she refused to swallow tablets about 4 months ago. The care home are lovely but need it in writing they can use this method or GP to provide liquid form…simple yes? No her GP won’t issue a letter or change her meds as she is no longer under their “Boundary” she can’t get registered with a new GP without information on her meds her old GP won’t give that info as the care home dont have an NHS email address meanwhile my mom has not had meds for a week. Mom has not moved out of the Borough but 9 miles from where she lived. Our solicitor is being as difficult as possibly giving us misinformation because we want to register the POA ourselves (their £600 fee gives mom an extra weeks care) so thats dragging on meaning we can’t do anything on her behalf…..like it’s not all stressful enough. Anyone else had these issues ?

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Muddi
When mum moved into her care home she became under the care of the GP who visited there regularly.
I would talk to the care home manager to find out if they do a similar thing.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Same as canary - when mum moved to the nursing home she moved to the GP who visited the home. Although the home did say she could stay with her old GP if we wanted her to, they would not keep her on their books because she was outside the boundary area.

Muddi

Aug 5, 2022
Hi @Muddi
When mum moved into her care home she became under the care of the GP who visited there regularly.
I would talk to the care home manager to find out if they do a similar thing.
They do have a GP who visits but as the Home dont have an nhs email address they won’t send a report of her meds or confirm they can crush moms tablets. The visiting GP won’t send the request because moms not registered with them I have never met so many obstructive people on this horrific journey of ours

Muddi

Aug 5, 2022
Same as canary - when mum moved to the nursing home she moved to the GP who visited the home. Although the home did say she could stay with her old GP if we wanted her to, they would not keep her on their books because she was outside the boundary area.
Exactly this, now she’s out the boundary they don’t want to know but there must be some sort of overlap between GP’s

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
It might be worth trying this as a 2 step process - get the new GP to request the notes from the old GP - should be done as a matter of course when she is registered by the home.
Getting any GP to authorise 'covert ' medication is another thing altogether - there are a number of legal steps to be completed and everything has to be documented. Whilst the old GP might have been aware of what your Dad was doing they were not legally sanctioning it.
The home may be able to get your Mum to take medication without going down the covert route - we couldn't get MIL to take anything at home but the care home managed to get her to take them for more than 2 years before they had to get authorisation to give covert meds - that process took about 4/5 weeks to action.

Can't help you with the POA question as we had Deputyship.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Same . Mum moved from Coventry to Birmingham district. Care home sorted out new gp and it was all organised seamlessly. When mum moved homes some tablets went with her .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
They do have a GP who visits but as the Home dont have an nhs email address they won’t send a report of her meds or confirm they can crush moms tablets. The visiting GP won’t send the request because moms not registered with them I have never met so many obstructive people on this horrific journey of ours
Talk to the care home manager. There must be a way of sorting this.

Muddi

Aug 5, 2022
It might be worth trying this as a 2 step process - get the new GP to request the notes from the old GP - should be done as a matter of course when she is registered by the home.
Getting any GP to authorise 'covert ' medication is another thing altogether - there are a number of legal steps to be completed and everything has to be documented. Whilst the old GP might have been aware of what your Dad was doing they were not legally sanctioning it.
The home may be able to get your Mum to take medication without going down the covert route - we couldn't get MIL to take anything at home but the care home managed to get her to take them for more than 2 years before they had to get authorisation to give covert meds - that process took about 4/5 weeks to action.

Can't help you with the POA question as we had Deputyship.
Hi thank you, we were trying to get liquid form prescribed but not getting anywhere now a week on the new GP says it to late tonight to do anything so he has agreed we can go and crush tablets and dissolve as a temporary measure if we are concerned…

Muddi

Aug 5, 2022
Talk to the care home manager. There must be a way of sorting this.
Hi we have spoken to everyone finally yesterday the Dr who covers the care home has said “a family member can administer if they are worried about it I can’t do much at this late hr” we aren’t talking paracetamol here it’s blood thinners! And everyone knows she has not had any for 5 days now. Well I’m off to try to give mom her tablet just hope her notes are updated and I’m not turned away.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Probably the same as other comments. My mum moved 300 miles so definitely a different area and she was transferred to the GP who attends the home she was in, I didn’t have to do anything.