Goodbye to Mum

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Yesterday was Mum's funeral.

It was a brilliant sun lit day. Even my 6 year old sons were in attendance (after we had convinced one he would neither see his Nana burnt or her body part scattered...The Lion King scenes with the hyenas did come to mind here!!!)

We had two of Mum's favourite songs played at the start. Louis Armstrong: We have all the time in the World and WOnderful World.

Then the first hymn, the 23rd Psalm. This was followed by a reading from Ecclesiastes 3,"to everything there is a season..". Then one of my favourite poems, "Do not stand at my grave and Weep". The minister then followed with Mum's eulogy which captured her open nature, love of family, dogs, crafts etc.

Then after the coffin went we had "She is gone" by David Harkins and "All things bright and Beautiful" to which my 6 yo sons joined in with gusto.

We had chosen a song, that we felt very relevant to all of us.."they can't take that away from me" about how you will always have your memories.

Her funeral tea was fantastic, she would really have enjoyed the meringues and strawberry tarts. There were so many we asked for a doggy bag and took them up to the NH to her carers.

The sun shone and it was a beautiful day. It was a great tribute to a Wonderful Mum.

Thank you all for letting me share these last few months. You will bever know how much it has helped.

Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a wonderful send off for your mother Mameeskye. It sounds more like a celebration of her life than a funeral.
I found your post uplifting.
Love xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Mammeskye,

It sounds like you organised a lovely and fitting service to say goodbye to your Mum.

I went to a funeral last week, and I can honestly say it was a lovely funeral, a real celebration of a life (we had All Things Bright and Beautiful too, although we could have done with a couple of 6 year olds singing with gusto! :))

I'm glad the sun shone for you and your Mum. :)

Take care,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Mameeskye, I know I've said it before, but I do so admire your attitude.

The service was positive from start to finish, and the presence of your two six year olds gives pointers to the future.

It sounds a beautiful service, and I'm sure your mum (and all the residents) would have enjoyed the cream cakes!

Take care of yourself now -- though I don't suppose you'll have too much time to relax, with two lively little boys around!

Please continue to share with us, if you would like to. You're one of the family.

Love,

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
So pleased that the funeral went well and felt good... i know how important that is...it does sound to have been a wonderful tribute to your mum, and to the love that continues to surround her.
Helen

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
What a lovely uplifting post and a wonderful tribute to your Mum....thanks for sharing it with us.

Take care of yourself now.

Linda x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you for sharing the details of your Mum's funeral with us.

It sounded a truly wonderful tribute to your Mum. How proud she would be of you and your two sons.

Take care of yourself now - you have done a superb job.
Love Jan

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Mameeskye
It was lovely to read your account of mum's funeral. At last you have been able to celebrate your wonderful mum's life. You have created so many fond memories for you and your children.
You can now move on and celebrate the rest that life has to offer.
take care
hendy

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Dear Mameeskye

I am so glad that the funeral was a wonderful occasion (one without regrets) and that even the weather played it's part. Thank you for telling us about it and thereby sharing a glimpse into a very moving part of your life. The following days will involve your grief but during this time you will always have the memory the day you sent your mum off was a wonderful day.

Love from

Helen

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Another Angel in Heaven

Dear Mameeskye,
Thank you for sharing such a beatiful and loving send off your Mother had.
My love to you and your family and your two special boys.
Christine

AJay

Aug 21, 2007
Leics
Hi Mameeskye

It sounded lovely, what a lovely tribute to your Mum, what a wonderful way to remember her.

Please keep sharing with us, we so need your dignity and wisdom.

Many hugs and much love,

AJay xxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Mameeskye, I'm so glad the sun shone for your mother's funeral and that the day passed so successfully. Well done for coping so well. Do take care of yourself now, with kindest regards, Deborah x