Good days

Isabella

Jan 4, 2014
I just wanted to share something. I had such a sweet visit with my mum yesterday. After last week, when she was a bit blank and didn't interact with me at all (not sure she knew who I was), I was very worried about going. But when I got there she seemed so alert and chatty! At one point she called me Sausage (one of her childhood nicknames for me). I said, "Am I not too grown up to be called Sausage?" and she said "No!" and patted me on the head :)

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was such a sweet moment. It really made me so happy, just wanted to share it with people who understand how much these little fleeting moments mean :)

Debbie Reads

Jul 27, 2014
I just wanted to share something. I had such a sweet visit with my mum yesterday. After last week, when she was a bit blank and didn't interact with me at all (not sure she knew who I was), I was very worried about going. But when I got there she seemed so alert and chatty! At one point she called me Sausage (one of her childhood nicknames for me). I said, "Am I not too grown up to be called Sausage?" and she said "No!" and patted me on the head :)

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was such a sweet moment. It really made me so happy, just wanted to share it with people who understand how much these little fleeting moments mean :)

How lovely! Hug that visit in your heart and store it for the tough times

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014
Those moments that make you smile

Know exactly what you mean. Dementia is a cruel disease. My mum is not good in the morning. When I leave for work she is with the carer having breakfast. Sometimes the leaving is not easy but I have to do it. What keeps me going is those little moments when we are having a conversation and she will say something very quietly, almost confidentially with a little smile. It may be nothing important but there is something about these moments that I store away for when I know she will not remeber who I am or, even worse, when she is not there any more.