Gone down hill so quick

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
1 week ago my OH complained of pain in his knee and struggled to get out of bed. Previously we were walking 1- 2 miles a day, although the pace had slowed over the last 6 weeks and he was beginning to stoop a little. He was prescribed some pain relief which given an hour before rising really helped for a few days. Monday morning was difficult so I decided to ring the surgery to instigate another assesement via the mental health nurse of his mobility. However she is off until new year so they suggested I take him down to see a nurse practitioner. She described antibiotics as she thought he could have an infection.
Christmas morning we made it my sister's for the day and got home at 5pm. He said he wanted the loo and I have been watching him over the last few weeks as he was becoming a little wobbly. I said I'll be there I two secs just need to lock the back door. A minute later I found him on his knees half way up the stairs with his head on the carpet. He was totally unresponsive. I called my wonderful neighbours and between us we got him into bed where he has been ever since. I believed he was just tired after the day out and missing his afternoon rest however although I had managed to get 350 mils of fluid and some fruit down him he wasn't much better last night and very lethargic so I called 111 as was anxoius about waiting another 12-15hrs for him him to be seen. They came and assessed him and said there no sign of a stoke and all his vitals were good. I managed to get an antibiotic down him at 5.30 this morning and he was quiet bright, so have managed again with the help of our very good friends and neighbours to get him bed bathed and pad changed. However it wore him out and he is still asleep.
The sudden change in him has rocked me greatly. And I am now waiting for the doctor to come.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
OH was admitted to hospital Thursday afternoon, they believe an infection but have no idea what or where. I had to tell every single member of the nursing staff he has Az, they just don't read the notes.
Fingers crossed it's the antibiotics he's on but he really wasn't making sense yesterday. It's almost as tho something has affected his communication and He can't process a two way conversation but did tell the nurse his name when she asked. He has a good appitite and was responsive, and is happy and settled when I'm not there which is the best I can hope for at the moment. He did say he loved me the world and gave me a kiss when I left him last night which means so much.
He has looked after me and provided for me for the 24 yrs and the thing that is keeping me going is I am determined now to step up and do my very best for him. He is my world and naturally I am devastated.

Sorry just need to put it down in writing.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH isn't improving. He seems a little better one day but down again the next. He still hasn't seen a Dr, they are only available for urgent call outs during the w/e. I am inclined to think he may have had a stroke but has no signs of one no dropped mouth, no slurred speech, yet the way he is, is very similar to how him mum was. Going to catch the Dr today and not leaving until I have!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’m so sorry @RosettaT. Could you be there when they do the ward round this morning?
I found that was the best time to get someone who knew what was happening.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry for your OH's illness and the lack of any diagnosis, RosettaT. I hope he is better soon and you can get some answers from the doctor.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
A stroke doesn’t have to be a major thing. A small stroke, TIA, transient ischaemic attack, may not be very obvious, and a patient can ‘recover’ very quickly, and some damage may last.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Saw the Dr yesterday he was lovely. Confirms an infection but they don't know what or where but put him on stronger IV antibios. Was going to send him for a CT scan to see if there was a bleed on the brain.

He was brighter yesterday but I've gone down with a tummy bug so I didn't get back in the afternoon and my sister went to see him this morning but he was sleepy again so she didn't stay long. He's still happy and comfortable so that's a blessing.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
2 and half weeks later and my OH was transferred to a transitional care ward on Thursday. He has been brighter the last few days so I think the confusion the infection left him with is slowly clearing. The aim is to get him back on his feet within 3 weeks.
It's quite obvious to me he responds to some nurses much better than others. I keep telling him if he can weight bare/walk a few steps he can come home. Although he understands me I'm not convinced he retains any of it but at least I feel I am doing something and you never know if they ask him to stand something may just click. It makes me feel better anyway.

Feeling much more positive than I was.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Good to hear your OH is on the road to recovery Rosetta. From experience of the system here it is likely to be in the hands of the physios now.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I hope your husband fully recovers soon to what he was before he was ill. Mine has had several bouts, but once home and built up he improved no end. I was told he would not but against the odds he did. Xxx

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Well it's a month tomorrow since OH collapsed and went into hospital. He was moved also most 2 weeks ago for transitional care but so far he hasn't even seen a physio. He has improved tho' over the last few days is stronger, more with it, and making more choices for himself. He can now weight bare, I just want him now as I'm sure he improve even more.

Edit: I asked the nurse today why things weren't moving along with regards to physio and she said 'because we are waiting for an appointment with regards to his suspected Parkinson's!'
The look on my face must have said it all because she followed up with, 'you haven't been told have you?'. She also said the date will be sent to me at home, which is no good because he's in a hospital that incurs a 80 mile return journey so I'm staying with my sister who lives much nearer.
I would have thought that because the ward asked for the referral they would alsso be informed of the appointment date but apparently not.

Last edited:

TJ1965

Jan 8, 2018
Well it's a month tomorrow since OH collapsed and went into hospital. He was moved also most 2 weeks ago for transitional care but so far he hasn't even seen a physio. He has improved tho' over the last few days is stronger, more with it, and making more choices for himself. He can now weight bare, I just want him now as I'm sure he improve even more.

Edit: I asked the nurse today why things weren't moving along with regards to physio and she said 'because we are waiting for an appointment with regards to his suspected Parkinson's!'
The look on my face must have said it all because she followed up with, 'you haven't been told have you?'. She also said the date will be sent to me at home, which is no good because he's in a hospital that incurs a 80 mile return journey so I'm staying with my sister who lives much nearer.
I would have thought that because the ward asked for the referral they would alsso be informed of the appointment date but apparently not.

So sorry to hear of the difficulty you have been going through and I hope that your husband continues to improve so that he can come home with you soon. Ask the nurses for the contact details of the Physio Team so you can speak to them directly and explain that you are not at your home address - they should be able to communicate the appointment details to you over the phone or send to the temporary address or liaise via the nurse. Best wishes to you both.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Sorry to hear that, Rosetta, at one point Parkinson's was suspected with mine too. It turned out it was the way the infection showed itself, no raised temperature just infection that turned to double pneumonia.
He had collapsed at home, after two weeks the consultant needed the bed and he was sent home on a Friday. After deteriorating badly over the weekend I rung for help and got the Critical Care team in via Social Services. He had two weeks of physios, nurses and a doctor on one day. It was to prevent him going back in. She me days five people called.
The SALT team called in too. We were lucky as once home I could tackle the extreme weight loss from being in hospital. I fortified everything.
That was a four years back I do not know what would happen now, every county is different too.
Thinking of you, Alice, x

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Well just started the 8th week in hospital and was looking forward to him hopefully coming home early next week. All the equipment organised by the OT was delivered last Tuesday. On my way to see him yesterday at 12.30 and got a call to say he had a suspected serious stoke and the 'cottage' hospital he was in had dialed 999 for an ambulance.
I sat waiting in A&E for over 3 hrs as the reception wouldn't let me in as they were 'busy', despite other people being able to go to their loved ones.
I saw them wheeling him down for a CT scan so ambushed them in the corridor. The staff were pleased to see me so I could answer their questions, they weren't aware I was there even tho I had requested the receptionist make them aware.! I am horrified really as I could have been there reassuring him, as his face lit up when he heard my voice, they just don't understand the affect Alzheimer's has.
The good news is apparently there is no sign of a stroke when I spoke to the Dr at 7.00pm tho he hadn't got the CT results then. I said to my sister he appears just the same as he was when first went into hospital 2 mths ago with an infection and that's exactly what the Dr thinks it is. White blood count up, temp up, very dozy not quite sure what was happening. He was being moved to the emergency medical assessment unit so will ring in short while to get an update.