1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

    Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

    Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

going round in circles

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by storm, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. storm

    storm Registered User

    Aug 10, 2004
    I am a complet novice at this so please bear with me.Iam trying to get help with caring for my mum in law who lives with us.I am being sent from piller to post with no joy.what are your views on carers assessments as i think this may be my next step.I have been caring for my mum who has dementia 24/7 for the last 2years and10years before that in her own home.I have recently been having a few health problems myself which require a few hospital visits.It as made me realise how tied i am and how much she depends on me .Alli want is someone to sit with her while i go for these sort of things.My husband cannot keep taking time off work,so i phoned crossroads but they do not cover my area,so i phoned my local alzheimers she is going to look into things but she said until my mum gets a proper diagnosis she does not hold out much hope she advised me to phone social services for assessments for me and mum,also to phone gp about referral to mental health team for diagnosis? We already know she has dementia.all ineed is a little help.Sorry for moaning just a bit tired.
  2. CraigC

    CraigC Registered User

    Mar 21, 2003
    Hi Storm,

    In my experience a carers assessment is really helpful. It will give you the oportunity to find out exactly what help and options are available to you. Someone from the social services will help you completed the paper work and help you highlight the kind of help that you need. Try to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

    Your GP should be able to cordinate a meeting and you should also make him/her aware of the situation. My advice would be to make it absolutely clear to your GP that you are struggling and that you health may be suffering. You may also be entilled to an allowance as a carer. The factsheet link will give you a lot of pointers, but do try and get some information from your GP as well.

    Hope that helps
  3. storm

    storm Registered User

    Aug 10, 2004
    hi everyone,just giving you an update on what has been happening so far.I phoned social services as jude advised to ask about assessments they phoned me back and apperently the woman who has been arranging our walk in shower for the last year is also our soial worker!just wish someone had told me.Anyway asked her about assessments and she asked what sort of help i needed so i said iwould like someone to sit with mum togive me a break.Fine she said i will arrange for someone to contact you so they can come maybe 2 afternoons aweek and also talk to you about respite care,you should have asked before! I DO NOT BELIVE IT.this woman as beento see us at least 5 times about the shower and as seen the situation i am in and never said a word about any help.Mind you we have still not got the shower yet .Iwill keep you all posted, i am still in shock.p.s nada thanks for thinking of me but i have read every booklet and page on site.Icannot belive i have done all this typing.By the way mum is 91.
  4. Brucie

    Brucie Registered User

    Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hi Storm...

    I believe these people are used to people like yourself asking for help. They might get kneecapped by their bosses if they started volunteering help, because the budgets would be gone within a day.

    Never understate your situation, but tell it like it is and then ask what they can do to help. I'm sure that most will wish to, but they have all that paperwork after all.......;)
  5. Sheila

    Sheila Registered User

    Oct 23, 2003
    West Sussex
    Storm, result!! good for you, now keep it going, tell them when you need things and keep telling them. I'm not quite sure if it will work the same in your area, but when my mum started needing help regularly, her SW had to write out a report, assessment of her needs, and we got a copy, this was re-written each time she went for a respite etc. It gave me a chance to check out what they said she needed and to ask if anything needed changing. I do hope this happens for you too. Love She. XX

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.