Going off food and been VERY difficult!

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Ive just made tea for my mum who has just woke up(damn was enjoying my peace and quality time with my cat!!)

So far the last 2 wks:

Dosnt like tomatoes anymore they taste funny,dont get them again

Am sick of chicken dont get it again

NOW CHRIST GIVE ME PATIENCE that tea is funny never get that again(has loved this brand all her life)

GOOD MORNING MUMMY DID YOU SLEEP WELL???????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: yep think im going to need a home and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I'm afraid I've seen and heard about this happening a great deal. All sorts of old loves die. And the taste buds are all over the place.

My husband has started to retreat into the weirdest diet. He used to enjoy his food - all of it. But now it is almost as if he is frightened of some things. He is happiest with cake and cheese .... he now eats fruit with butter on it .... I'm afraid I have nearly stopped cooking for him as it doesn't please him and it either makes me sad or makes me angry.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
It is awful ive thrown out so much food I try and do all her fav food but get nothing but negativity.

She just says shes not hungry then will go and eat bread and cheese or taost and marmalade????

Very worrying as shes diabetic. Its very annoying and hard to cope with but as you say seems to be part of illness my mum loved her grub until the last few months??

Thanks for that
:(

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Tastes do change as people get older and tastes change with dementia, so it is a double-pronged attack on tastebuds. In addition of course, people forget what they used to like so it's not much good saying that they've liked it always if they can't remember that they have! Hard and sad, but it is what it is. As long as your mother is happy with what she's eating and she is eating - and drinking, she'll be fine.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Meat pies and tantrums

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I do stock tinned meat pies (Bay Fretis variety), frozen chicken nuggets, tinned curry and frozen spouts (all year) for mum. She has a choice - but if none of my offerings of that day are acceptable then it's the above mentioned stuff that is always (for now) reckoned to be lovely!
As for the being difficult - I wish that there was a frozen answer to that one - I'd make it in lorry loads and make home deliveries!

PS I like the new TP format.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Well at the moment my mum gets the best she did the best on nothing for us when she had not much money and as long as I can I will feed her the best meat and veg!! Of course if she starts to reject everything then its time to get the pureed veg!! I gave up looking after babies to have more a of a life???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:eek::eek:

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi there

My Dad is getting to be really hard to please with food, I take him out at least 4 times a week to eat and 4 times a week he complains about the food and falls out with the place.

It really winds me up as it is wear and tear on our car I have put 20,000 miles on our car in 18 month and I cannot work due to his dementia and refusal of carers.

I try to get him to stay in, but when he stays in he will not eat, if I leave the car at home (10 mile from Dad) I make him a sandwich and usually add pork pie, sausage roll ect he will eat it but then complain about it the next day.

He hates the tea, coffee, crisps, nothing is right!:mad: It is so stressful!

Turmoil

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Hi there

My Dad is getting to be really hard to please with food, I take him out at least 4 times a week to eat and 4 times a week he complains about the food and falls out with the place.

It really winds me up as it is wear and tear on our car I have put 20,000 miles on our car in 18 month and I cannot work due to his dementia and refusal of carers.

I try to get him to stay in, but when he stays in he will not eat, if I leave the car at home (10 mile from Dad) I make him a sandwich and usually add pork pie, sausage roll ect he will eat it but then complain about it the next day.

He hates the tea, coffee, crisps, nothing is right!:mad: It is so stressful!

Turmoil

Great name!!!! I know all these little things that add up to major stress for us then im accused of starving her:mad: I feed the cat better than her:mad::mad:

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I thought it was only my MIL who started to hate and refuse food??? Obviously not! Although I can feel the pain for you all it does give me some consolation that I am not alone!

Although I prepare all food from scratch so that it is healthy. I get moaned at because she says that I am trying to make her fat. She only likes sweet things. She rummages around the house in search for sweets etc. If she has sweets then when I dish up dinner she says 'I don't care for that', I could throw it over her head! If I cook fish in any way other than fry it she states it raw. It drives me bonkers. Chicken is raw. She only likes breast of chicken but I do give her wings/thighs etc and she eats them like its the best she's ever had!

I also have a stock of meat pies in tins/tinned spam & ham (ugh)/frozen chips/tinned curry etc for when she flatly refuses to eat my food. Amazingly enough for someone who has always 'prided' herself of her perceived good cooking loves the pies etc just as much as my cooking. She seems to think I have made the pies etc from scratch!

During this hot weather I get hubby to just plonk the food in front of her and we eat out in the garden

Eating out...................UGH.....................No more!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare