Glad I found a place like this...

StrawberryKS

Aug 18, 2014
United States
I've been meaning to join something like this for a while. The argument tonight is what made me finally do it. :confused:

My grandmother is suffering from some form of dementia. I believe that her conditions are aggravated by severe malnutrition and abuse as a child. It's very clear to both of my parents and I that something isn't right; However, my sister and (more importantly) both of my grandparents deny it completely. She hasn't seen a doctor and they refuse to discuss our concerns.

Apparently she's been developing whatever this is since my parents' marriage (so at least 25-ish years). My parents both noticed it long ago. My mom says it didn't really hit her what was going on until she and my grandmother began arguing a lot over things my grandmother did or didn't say. She tried to talk to my grandfather about it but he blew her off.

It's gotten a lot worse in the past 5 years. She's become very forgetful (in just about every way), easily-angered, and even violent (but in a childish manner). It's almost as if she gets more and more like an ill-tempered child as she gets older and this illness progresses. It's increasingly hard on the people who know what's going on, partially because we see what's happening and can't help and partially because the way she's started interacting with us.

I currently live with my grandparents because of a medical situation of my own that has temporarily stalled my own life. She's become rather fussy with me, and when I talk to her about it she doesn't remember what she did, gets very very angry, "conjures up" things that I did, and then tells my grandfather so they can both yell at me. This woman was around more than my own mother a lot of the time, being treated like this is rather hard on me. Seeing her like this is hard. I'm really scared about what will happen; she always says that if she comes down with a disease like dementia that she will kill herself. My paternal grandfather recently died of alzheimers and that was very painful to watch. I want to help her and find support for myself and others in our family group.

I'm sorry if this thread isn't the right place for all of this, but I guess that's my intro. :( Please please help!
**edit: she's also subject to falls, last year she fell into a china cabinet and almost died because she was startled awake and ran into the other room, tripping over the rug. She's having issues with her vocabulary, most recently she called her oven a stove. Another part of "forgetfulness" that should be included would be misplacing things, including important things. She NEEDS a routine, if there is a mess or a routine she gets very irrational, more than a normal person would.**

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to TP. I'm so to read about your situation.

You are obviously a very caring granddaughter and it must be very hard for you. I'm glad you found TP and I'm sure you will find lots of help and support here. A number of TP members are from the USA so might be better able to advise on available support etc.

It must be particularly difficult if both of your grandparents are in denial over this. I wonder if your parents could get your grandfather on his own and have a long talk about your concerns. I think the family is going to have to find some way to get your grandmother to see a doctor.

Wishing you well and hoping to hear of how things go for you and your family.

Trace2012

Jun 24, 2013
Hi there, welcome to talkin point, its a very good place to start, i really dont have any advice apart from see your go, ask for a memory test, my mam asked her go for 3 years to be tested as its in the family, her sister is well advanced with AD, in the end there sent her for a MRI scan and to the memory clinic, it was diagnosed a year gone christmas, but ive noticed her not right for about 3-4 years, i recently had her tested by a mental health nurse ( on the sly ) as she is starting to see ppl in the house and having delusions, they think she may have Lewy bodies dementia, theres a few different types and is worth reading up, you will get all the advice you need from talking point, these ppl are very lovely and caring ppl and most have the best advice, but mainly its a very good ear to bend when you feel u need it, quite often in my case! Hope u get sorted and big hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My grandmother, born and bred in Somerset always called the cooker a stove.

I think it's like what Hoover became, in that a stove was a heated area that developed into what we now call an oven. As the kitchen was the only heated room for years in my Grans house, the cooker was always known as a stove. I only started calling it a cooker/oven more than a stove, when I got married 38 years ago as my OH didn't know what I was taking about when I called it a stove :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
So....the 'stove' issue makes sense to lots of people here :)

However, that was just one example and you have lots to worry about. Can you give us more examples Strawberry? For example, is you grandmother able to take care of herself in terms of washing and dressing? Can your grandparents manage the house? Does your grandmother use the cooker (stove :p), fridge etc. Can she cook as she used to?

I think people may find it easier to offer suggestions if you could give a bit more detail.

Take care :)

Lindy xx