Getting used to dentures

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
Hi it’s Sam. I had my last teeth out some time last yer and got dentures at too and bottom. I am still finding eating and talk difficult snd keeping lower one in. I prefer not wesring at home only when out. I am trying but as my dementia gets worse i am not sure i will want to wear them and i know will cause problems. Not sure if anyone here has dentures and if they find problems. Any suggetion welcome.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband had all his teeth out years ago. tried dentures but had scar tissue so they just irritated and made them bleed. ive been with him for 36 years and hes never had dentures. the gums harden to be alm ost as strong as teeth. he can eat most things fine or adapt a way of eating. i have few teeth in my mouth as they kept crumbling. never had dentures as my stomach turned every time i thought of them. ive managed.

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
my husband had all his teeth out years ago. tried dentures but had scar tissue so they just irritated and made them bleed. ive been with him for 36 years and hes never had dentures. the gums harden to be alm ost as strong as teeth. he can eat most things fine or adapt a way of eating. i have few teeth in my mouth as they kept crumbling. never had dentures as my stomach turned every time i thought of them. ive managed.
That is good to know it is possble manage without any dentures . I get them checked for fit and told they are fine but still i find them odd in my mouth. My gums are healed and i can eat most thing without the teeth in. I just wear when with people. But i dont worry when i go to care home for activity as others dont have thrm in and it feel better.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
That is good to know it is possble manage without any dentures . I get them checked for fit and told they are fine but still i find them odd in my mouth. My gums are healed and i can eat most thing without the teeth in. I just wear when with people. But i dont worry when i go to care home for activity as others dont have thrm in and it feel better.
he can eat steak etc. crushes nuts, slices fruit rather than bite into it and breaks like rolls into pieces.

Suetsue

Feb 18, 2023
Hi it’s Sam. I had my last teeth out some time last yer and got dentures at too and bottom. I am still finding eating and talk difficult snd keeping lower one in. I prefer not wesring at home only when out. I am trying but as my dementia gets worse i am not sure i will want to wear them and i know will cause problems. Not sure if anyone here has dentures and if they find problems. Any suggetion welcome.
I had a bottom one for two back teeth one side and one on the other. It hurt like hell so went back for a ‘comfort fitting’ was told that it was too high so had them ground down, a bit better but still can’t eat so not wearing them, (they crunched together and it frightened me!) will go back again but it’s a way to go to get to the dentist and hubby has dementia so sadly not a priority. Have you been back for a comfort fitting?

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
I had a bottom one for two back teeth one side and one on the other. It hurt like hell so went back for a ‘comfort fitting’ was told that it was too high so had them ground down, a bit better but still can’t eat so not wearing them, (they crunched together and it frightened me!) will go back again but it’s a way to go to get to the dentist and hubby has dementia so sadly not a priority. Have you been back for a comfort fitting?
sorry hear that. Hope you can get back for refit. Yes i had it done. It is not so much the fit for me. I just find they feels odd in my mouth. I cant forgot they are there. Know what i mean?