Getting sentimental over daft things.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
This is going to sound stupid.

I have to think about ending the phone contract, the number has been with Mum since we got a phone in the 70's so it's obviously etched on my brain. I can't bear to think she'll no longer call me from her home or that I won't ring it any more and all the phone calls that have passed between that number and mine over the many years, but I need to disconnect, how stupid am i?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Not stupid at all - sounds pretty normal to me! And when you're feeling emotionally fragile, as you are now with all the worry over your mum - these little things will seem that much more sad and poignant.

Rettaere

Sep 30, 2014
Liverpool
This is going to sound stupid.

I have to think about ending the phone contract, the number has been with Mum since we got a phone in the 70's so it's obviously etched on my brain. I can't bear to think she'll no longer call me from her home or that I won't ring it any more and all the phone calls that have passed between that number and mine over the many years, but I need to disconnect, how stupid am i?

Hi gillybean,it's not stupid,it's called having deep rooted love and caring.Big hugs xxx

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
It's not stupid, at all. I still have mum's phone number in my phone book and phone. I can't bear to delete it. And she was in care for almost 4 years, and here with me for 7 months. She passed away in August. x

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband David has severe dementia and his conversation now is difficult but I love it that when our phone goes to ansaphone I still hear him saying " this is David please leave a message".
So I am a vote for being sentimental
Tre

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I cried when I called BT to have mums house phone disconnected. They , like your parents had a phone number since the 70's ( although it got prefixed) and survived 3 house moves with them.

I can still heat my late mother saying ''6613'' when she answered the phone.

Its horrid, thinking of you xx

Neph

Jan 27, 2014
I still have my parents home number on my phone, my dad's mobile number and his work number, he's been gone five years, mum has been in care for four. Nah not sentimental at all, I tried to delete them a few days ago and just couldn't.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
You're not being silly, gillybean - or else, we all are!

I still have mum's number listed in my phone as 'mum and dad', even though dad died twelve years ago. I'd never change it. I have also saved answer phone messages from close family, just so I can hear their voices....

I'd struggle as you are, to disconnect that number.

All the best

Lindy xx

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I still have my mothers no on my phone...even though I ended her BT contract when she died last year..I still have the urge to ring her number...

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sentimentality only becomes wrong if it interferes with daily life. ( or if you run out of space to store things:eek:). I've still got the cheque book stubs covering Dad buying Mum's engagement ring, their first house deposit, and Dad's first car...oh and the receipts from the Nursing Home where my sisters and I were born!!:rolleyes:

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
It's nice to know that other people feel the way I do, I know she won't ever call me again (though line night I got 9 calls so that was annoying!) nor I her and it's that what makes me so very sad never to hear her at the end of the phone same time each day.

I have to say the phone did become hard though, even the big button one became an issue.

Annebags

Sep 2, 2014
Essex
Oh Gillybean, this is exactly what I posted about on another thread. I have just had mum's phone disconnected and I feel like I am disconnecting her. I have rung that number at least twice a day for 30 years. Logically, I know that she needs nursing care and I certainly won't miss that sick feeling when she never answered the phone but it is hard.

I have no answers but you are most definitely not alone.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Oh Gillybean, this is exactly what I posted about on another thread. I have just had mum's phone disconnected and I feel like I am disconnecting her. I have rung that number at least twice a day for 30 years. Logically, I know that she needs nursing care and I certainly won't miss that sick feeling when she never answered the phone but it is hard.

I have no answers but you are most definitely not alone.

Aw Anne, how weird, so I'm not alone in this, I feel I'm betraying her all the time, it's just these tasks have fallen to me to do and I've no one else to share this with.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Well I've done it, cancelled the line and number.

I must admin I was really annoyed as the international call centre that handled the call tried to sell me another package for the address and I said why are you making this difficult task even harder for me? Then as I was about to end the call she again said what about yourself can I offer you....and I said 'look don't try to sell me something at this point, I think it's really inappropriate' and she shut up. How unempathic can you get especially as I explained the circumstances.

Oh well, done now :(

Fastwalker

Apr 27, 2010
Tyne and Wear
They made it even harder for me! They had to have proof my mum didn't need the phone any more. I had to send a copy of the power of attorney. I still have an urge to dial the number. Like many people it was the number (with extra digits) we got when the phone was put in in the early 1970's. It was four digits then, and is six now. I still have the AA box keys my parents had when they first joined in the early 1960's. I couldn't use my parents AA card and pretend to be my mum because the card which I still have had member since 1962 on. I wasn't born! Sad times.

Annebags

Sep 2, 2014
Essex
Gillybean, well done. Another unpleasant task accomplished.

Fastwalker, sounds as if I had it easy. Mine was just done over the phone with some tact.

Having said that, I went to phone a friend yesterday and dialled my mum's number by mistake. And I thought I was doing so well:(

Now trying to cram some of my mum's things into my house. I have bags and boxes everywhere. I look as if I have been burgled!

Does anyone else feel disloyal doing these things? I always promised mum I would be honest with her but she hasn't mentioned her house since she went into the nursing home and I haven't had the courage.

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
My mum's is still in the family home (1966 we moved in) and the phone number is the same as apart from changes to area codes.
She has always maintained that anyone from her past could find her.
I understand your sentiments entirely.
xx

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Gillybean, well done. Another unpleasant task accomplished.

Fastwalker, sounds as if I had it easy. Mine was just done over the phone with some tact.

Having said that, I went to phone a friend yesterday and dialled my mum's number by mistake. And I thought I was doing so well:(

Now trying to cram some of my mum's things into my house. I have bags and boxes everywhere. I look as if I have been burgled!

Does anyone else feel disloyal doing these things? I always promised mum I would be honest with her but she hasn't mentioned her house since she went into the nursing home and I haven't had the courage.

Me too, I haven't spoken about it, you feel very disloyal indeed, all her belongings and lifes treaures....so hard

Annebags

Sep 2, 2014
Essex
Gillybean, today was worse. Mum's youngest sister came over to see what she wanted. She has always been greedy and spoiled and today was no different. No sooner was she through the door, she had grabbed a canteen of cutlery for her daughter as S wanted something "to remember her by". I did say that if S wanted to remember her, surely visiting her would be a good start. She has not been near her in4 years, not even a phone call. I wanted to scream she is not dead yet!

Sorry to moan at you but frankly no-one in real life seems to understand.

PS she has just texted me to say there seem to be a couple of spoons missing ...

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Gillybean, today was worse. Mum's youngest sister came over to see what she wanted. She has always been greedy and spoiled and today was no different. No sooner was she through the door, she had grabbed a canteen of cutlery for her daughter as S wanted something "to remember her by". I did say that if S wanted to remember her, surely visiting her would be a good start. She has not been near her in4 years, not even a phone call. I wanted to scream she is not dead yet!

Sorry to moan at you but frankly no-one in real life seems to understand.

PS she has just texted me to say there seem to be a couple of spoons missing ...

How mercenary of her, these times bring out the worst in people. I spent 2 hours today to start to sort out a whole house and filled the bin already with stuff from the bathroom mostly, awful job, could do with 6 months off to cope!