Garden disaster.

Galloping grannie

Feb 24, 2022
I have now taken on the garden. After years of neglect, only the lawns got done, I have at last found a gardener. I asked OH to go and have a look at the one bed that has been tidied and cut back, only to find him putting stuff in the bin. He had cut down the rose we have had for the last fifteen years climbing up the fence, because he thought it looked a mess. Unfortunately words did not fail me, probably said things I shouldn’t!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well Mr Nextdoor does gardening work too, and some days I help our, usually when an older person is the customer but also where a CRB/DBS necklace is needed, young, old and vulnerable people may be present.
I work for free when we are working to a budget and always try to get it right.
He always try to document what we will do, tree stump comes out, lawn gets cut or whatever in an email.
That said fence replacements can be a nightmare as it can affect 2 properties, that said the lovely lady must have offered us a cup of tea about 10 times in 3 hours and did tell us she was 83 about the same number of times...what do you do? Can't work with a full bladder, seems rude to refuse.
I don't mind working with Mr Nextdoor he's Mr full on, I'm Mr laid back, but sometimes you do have to clarify, get it down on paper when you're dealing with the elderly k

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I have now taken on the garden. After years of neglect, only the lawns got done, I have at last found a gardener. I asked OH to go and have a look at the one bed that has been tidied and cut back, only to find him putting stuff in the bin. He had cut down the rose we have had for the last fifteen years climbing up the fence, because he thought it looked a mess. Unfortunately words did not fail me, probably said things I shouldn’t!
Oh dear @Galloping grannie I can totally understand your reaction and why words did not fail you. We have all had times like that. OH will probably forget quicker than you will what you said.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Galloping grannie

I have found that what SeaSwallow has said is true. When words don't fail me I always know that my wife may remember the emotion for the rest of the day but will have forgotten the incident by the next day.

Don't feel guilty, or be hard on yourself.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @Galloping grannie - no wonder you reacted as you did. As others have said he will probably have forgotten it all happened by now. Please don't feel guilty. I think we'e all been there.

Galloping grannie

Feb 24, 2022
Thanks for your kind replies. I did later try to deal with the emotions, he was clearly upset, he was only trying to help. It’s such an awful disease!

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
you're not alone , I'm sure we've all done or said things, in the heat of the moment and regretted it, I know I have ,,often. and I probably will again...