Gall stones at Christmas

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Trisha4, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    As we all know dementia tends to complicate everything and, of course, this includes Christmas preparations. She Thursday night I have been trying to sit in a chair with a hot wheat bag dulling the pain of suspected gallstones. We have had family staying since then until this morning and they have been wonderful but we're on our own now.
    I just asked Mick for a glass of water so that I could take more painkillers but he couldn't understand how to get it. It's not easy is it?
    My scan for confirmation isn't scheduled until mid January.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

2. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Trisha I so feel for you. I had gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. Have you got prescribed painkillers or just over the counter ones?

I was prescribed pethidine by my doctor, very much like morphine. It was the only thing that helped me, I can fully understand how people take drugs, once the pain had gone I was really left in a very nice place.:)

Of course this was way before I became a carer for my husband and would have been totally impossible to take and care.

It certainly is not a good place to be for you at the moment, take care and try to relax between the bouts of pain. Life certainly is not easy.

Take care

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Ouch. I was in agony when I had them.
    Have they talked to you about a fat free diet so you don't keep aggravating them?

4. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    My OH had suspected gallstones, he was sent for endless scans and tests and it turned out to be an ulcer cased by ibuprofen, which caused the same symptoms, he stopped taking them and the symptoms stopped a few weeks later.

5. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Gall stones at Christmas :eek: Why not just have turkey like the rest of us:D
    Sorry I couldn't resist, a friend of mine had hers removed a few weeks ago and I've how painful it can be.
    K

6. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Cruel, Kevin, but funny too. Hope you enjoy your turkey!

7. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Plan is the chicken's marinating in the fridge right now and the (jar) of curry sauce is at the ready, get in the car in the morning, down to the narrowboat, light the wood burning stove and slow cook the curry on top for a few hours then cook the rice on the hob.
    A couple of DVD's and I've downloaded a some Christmas related talking books.
    No phone, no internet so unless storm Eva is as bad as the papers have us believe that's the plan for now.
    K

8. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Trisha - I have heard that gallstone pain is very severe so I'm sorry that you are suffering in this way. Hope you get help soon after your scan.

However, what really stood out for me in your post was:

"I just asked Mick for a glass of water so that I could take more painkillers but he couldn't understand how to get it. It's not easy is it?"

This really is something I can empathise with as hubby would not be able to help me either. As you say, it's not easy. xx

9. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Thanks LB. It's a boat we're all in x

10. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Diagnosis on 30th December was pancreatitis. Now having scans etc to find out why. First s an has shown no gall stones or kidney stones. CT scan next week to actually look at pancreas.

11. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    I had gallstones about 20 years ago, and the pain just doesn't move and is excrutiating. I hope you get some medication, because even if no stones are present, there's something causing that pain, and having to be a carer as well, puts so much strain on your health. xxx