Fundraising from dad's funeral

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
My dads funeral on Tuesday was a small affair - 20-ish people, and I asked for no flowers, and all donations to the Alzheimer's society. I didn't expect much, to be honest, but just had an e-mail from the Funeral Director to say that more than £150 was raised! I was really surprised and very gladdened.

If it just pays for an hours research into this dreadful disease that's something.

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Excellent !!

Firstly, hope all went well with your dad's service, and hope you're ok.
Secondly, that's excellent ! Every penny counts towards research / funding services for Dementia sufferer's and their families. Mum's final amount collected was £400 on the day of her service, I'm so pleased and very thankful to all that gave.
Sending my best wishes xx

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Firstly, hope all went well with your dad's service, and hope you're ok.
Secondly, that's excellent ! Every penny counts towards research / funding services for Dementia sufferer's and their families. Mum's final amount collected was £400 on the day of her service, I'm so pleased and very thankful to all that gave.
Sending my best wishes xx

I can't add anything to the above except my step mother got dementia but she requested her funeral fund went to Cancer Research UK when she was well.
She had volunteered for that charity for many years and once she got dementia it was too late to ask if she wanted to change so we felt we had to honour her original wish.
All I can say none of us knows what will happen in the future so you can only assist 1 charity on a regular basis and I am sure there will be others who will die from cancer who supported another charity for years.
Donations came to the house for some time after the funeral so I think about £400 was raised in the end.
She had a friend in Germany who sent a donation to their own cancer charity.

William

Last edited:

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I can't add anything to the above except my step mother got dementia but she requested her funeral fund went to Cancer Research UK when she was well.
She had volunteered for that charity for many years and once she got dementia it was too late to ask if she wanted to change so we felt we had to honour her original wish.
All I can say none of us knows what will happen in the future so you can only assist 1 charity on a regular basis and I am sure there will be others who will die from cancer who supported another charity for years.
Donations came to the house for some time after the funeral so I think about £400 was raised in the end.
She had a friend in Germany who sent a donation to their own cancer charity.

William

That's very true William. My mum volunteered for years with CLIC (Cancer and Leukaemia In Childhood) as a charity shop worker, and this is where dad's funds may have ended up had he not been stricken with dementia.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and so recent too! I do wish you well for each day that passes and hope that the awful "rawness" mellows in time and you are left with happy memories.

My mum died in February and I chose two charities, one of which was Alzheimer's so I felt very glad to be able to send in a similar figure to yourself and hope they were pleased. My mum's funeral was on 12th Feb which was the most ghastly day weather-wise, never mind the break-up of relations with my brother that morning before the funeral. So with side-ways lashing rain very few people were able to make it in the end but I am sure AS are very grateful and they did send a nice letter of thanks.

Oh goodness, I just still can't cope getting my mind going back to those dark days. I long for it to be erased in some form - sorry, this is not turning into the supportive attempt to offer you a friendly hand - how hopeless I am!

Do take care of yourself, are you able to take a break and have a holiday soon? Hope so.