Fund care homes for people with Alzheimer's or dementia irrespective of finances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KATHYH73

Apr 28, 2024
Hi everyone my dad has Alzheimer's and i have set a petition up with the government to help families like mine who have to pay the full cost of care due their financial statues i believe this is totally unacceptable when my dad has paid taxes all his working life I would be most grateful if we could gain as many signatures as possible to help families like mine but i have to have ten posts before i can share the link

KATHYH73

Apr 28, 2024
Thanks everyone for the support hopefully we can get this petition off the ground and running i sent it o my MP but of course he couldn't promote my petition but said he would raise it personally with colleagues in the department of health.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Sorry to be a very wet blanket but no government will see this through as the cost will be horrendous.

Does this mean that multimillionaires and billionaires (who already often dodge their tax responsibilities) will get the same? Hmmmm. If not, why not?

If you drain the money pot, then the standard of care has to drop because there will simply be not enough money to go around. That’s why those who can afford to pay should. The money is for their benefit, not for the beneficiaries of the will.

NHS is in deep trouble and consecutive governments have been unable to solve the problems so how can this work? Seriously?

Sorry to rain on your parade and I admire your intention.

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
I feel that a fairer system would be to charge a percentage of income/assetts.
@Lawson58 is right sadly, in that the pot is most definitely not bottomless. That way, nobody would have to lose all of their assets.
I will risk unpopularity here though and say that it does seem grossly unfair that a proportion of folk who have never paid into the system, (ie. not worked ..) get given everything at no cost, and those with modest assets who have worked and made sacrifices and paid into the system (which helps those who cannot) then have to pay for their care until their assets are stripped bare.
I think the REAL issue, is that Progressive Neurological conditions such as the Dementias need to be reclassified/redefined and not just be labelled as social needs.
I wonder, do prisoners get stripped of their assets in order to cover the costs of their incarceration??

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think i am in Lawsons camp
here isnt a bottomless pot of money.

At what point would a person become eligible for funded accomodation?
At point of diagnosis? Many diagnosed live happily for many years in the community
At the point that the family say they cant manage? My 'line in the sand' maybe very different to yours.
When the patient meets certain criteria? Dementia progresses so differently in everyone. Some may never reach the set critria..but be rock bottom of another area of dementia and their family on their knees but not qualify.

Much as i think the nursing component of care should be free at point of delivery, there will still be costs that the patient ( or their family) should meet. Food, heat and light etc- no one exists for free , dementia or otherwise.

My neighbor is 86, she doesnt have dementia, her general day to day living means she wont have £23k left to leave to her daughter, yet she could have if she had a place in a nursing home.....and that goes for the whole population, not just dementia sufferers

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

At point of diagnosis? Many diagnosed live happily for many years in the community
At the point that the family say they cant manage? My 'line in the sand' maybe very different to yours.
When the patient meets certain criteria? Dementia progresses so differently in everyone. Some may never reach the set critria..but be rock bottom of another area of dementia and their family on their knees but not qualify.

Much as i think the nursing component of care should be free at point of delivery, there will still be costs that the patient ( or their family) should meet. Food, heat and light etc- no one exists for free , dementia or otherwise.

My neighbor is 86, she doesnt have dementia, her general day to day living means she wont have £23k left to leave to her daughter, yet she could have if she had a place in a nursing home.....and that goes for the whole population, not just dementia sufferers
Yes, it gets very complicated doesn’t it?

And you are right about how do you work out who should get what, always an ongoing problem with any welfare benefits. There are lots of people who are in care apart from those with dementia and maybe if you want to apply this to one, then you can’t and shouldn’t ignore the others. Then that gets really scary.

Some people prefer to keep their PWD at home under very exhausting circumstances and though they may have carers coming in, they save governments a small fortune. What do you do for them?
It also raises the question of finding staff to care for those who would come into public funded facilities.

@Sonya1 points out that many people have never paid into the system and while I accept that some are work avoiding, there are many others who have lived in generational poverty. I think that’s when a country’s social conscience is put to the test. I believe that every community should step and take care of those who simply can’t. There’s a saying that says something like you can judge the values of a people by the way they treat their aged and needy.

The NHS was a wonderful innovation that was a highly progressive move. It never anticipated that people would live longer, that medical research would produce fabulous new techniques and equipment that cost buckets of money and that the needs of the population would change. It is swamped and struggling to provide the services it was meant to do.

Perhaps a better place to start would be working out how to solve its problems before stretching the purse strings to breaking point.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
The problem is the cap for paying is way too low. It produces inequality across the country. We live in an area where wages were notoriously low, house prices still are low in comparison to some parts of the country. A house could sell in my area for just under 160k but I have relatives in the south
h who live in similar and they are valued double and more!

Low wages has meant that saving has been difficult so no money pot to kick people off without using the house from the start.

A life times work taken by the care system that these people have already paid into. They paid in the same % ,,some stats,say more,of their income and end their life with nothing to show for it.

It's that which is grossly unfair. If you're living in a high cost house you're lucky in that your money may last longer than you. You won't have to deal with ss to fund you ,move to a cheaper home and the upset of moving and you may be able to leave something to your family..

The only people I can think of where the state can dictate how to spend your entire wealth is if you have dementia or lost mental capacity. Abuse of vulnerable people in my opinion.
Once someone needs care as against wants, then it should be free. CHC should be given at that point

Last edited:

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023

People with dementia can't manage their needs . That's the point,your neighbour can and is presumably safe. Your neighbour may be leaving
an expensive house instead of using for care? And the removing of the state pension on going into care could fund the food and heat. After all it's expected to be sufficient if you live in your own home!

Last edited:

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
When I have spoken to my son about leaving money to him and his sister when I die he’s said “The money is there for you, if it needs to be spent on care then that’s fine”.
I think what most self funders feel is unfair is that they pay more for residential care than those funded by the Local Authorities and are, in effect, subsidising other people while losing their own savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.