Frantic

miznoma

Feb 7, 2024
During the past Year my Husband has been showing signs of dementia. Initially short term memory loss. Seeing people not there. Others conspiring against him. Flying into rages. All has been spasmodic which did not allow for a proper diagnosis.
His mobility is restricted to a 4 wheel walker indoors and wheelchair elsewhere. Last Saturday he had a fall which caused a hip fracture. This came about because he couldn't remember where I was so he panicked. He was taken to Hospital where he underwent surgery on the Sunday. Since he was admitted his symptoms are constant.
He is in torment and persistently demanding to go home. Will not accept necessary physio to enable that but nobody is addressing the desperation he is going through. If he were in pain they would medicate but keep telling me they will not give him anything just let him suffer.

I have been through every department to get help but get the same negative response. I visit daily only to receive a barrage of demands and wild scenarios of goings-on there from him. Shouting "you will not have a Husband if you don't get me out of here now" I am distraught. I am seeing him suffer and feel totally helpless.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
I'm so sorry to read about everything you've been going through @miznoma - it sounds so distressing for you. However, you're definitely not alone with this and you've come to the right place. You'll find lots of support and understanding here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @miznoma and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is lots of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.
Gosh, you are going through a lot at the moment. I am so sorry. Sadly, a person with dementia, or showing signs of it, having been in hospital with a break or fracture, quite often, when discharged, will have perhaps more enhanced symptoms. But it is so distressing to have this rage and anger directed at you when you are doing your best.
If you can, perhaps don't visit every day, so you get a break yourself, and from his distressing behaviour. And when he is ready for discharge, please ensure the hospital have a care plan arranged for him.
Others will probably be along shortly with their suggestions; you'll always find a listening ear and understanding here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023