Football, Names and Dementia

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I have watched football for some time, although these days I struggle to watch a full game on TV, as well as that I get very agitated by the professional cheats and end up shouting at the ref through the TV.

I am not as bad as some people I have seen, who watch these games in Pubs etc, and then start swearing at the TV as if its going to sort the problems out.

However the thing that gets me more worked up these days is trying to pronounce some of the players names. There are so many foreign names these days, and I do not dare to pronounce them as I usually make a complete mess of it.

I was never very good at doing this before the Dementia, but now I find that I need time to focus on the name and then try to break it down in the hope that I may get somewhere close.

My family have had many a good laugh at my attempts, but they also realise that I am having an attempt to do something when my brain does not always tell me what is in front of me.

Another problem is that, I do not always know when I am shouting or talking louder than I should. That is until "She who must be obeyed" tells me to shut up or keep quiet. Then I know that I am getting noisy.

My son said if I went to watch him play football in our local park, I would probably get sent off the field.

When I think back, I used to be classed as a very quiet person who would not say boo to a goose, but that was before this illness got hold of me.

Life goes on..

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Ken,

I too shout through the TV at players, the ref, the commentator ... and don't have any excuse. :eek:

My dad went to rugby league matches until 12 months ago, and although in normal day to day life he had difficulty in finding the right word, he had no such problem when shouting at the ref and the players. :D

His consultant explained that when agitated there was more blood flow to the brain, which assisted communication. This might be particularly associated with his type of dementia (semantic). Even now he is in a care home and his language is virtually gone he is still able to 'communicate' better when agitated. :rolleyes:

Now Ronaldo is no longer playing on these shores my neighbours may have a more peaceful time. ;)

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Sue,

My main problems is, that when I get agitated the words don't always come out as they should, sometimes I get them mixed up or use the wrong words and that only makes things worse for all concerned.

You said- Now Ronaldo is no longer playing on these shores my neighbours may have a more peaceful time.
Every time you see a game of football there is always someone like him, and that is very sad for all concerned, but I suppose this is continental football at its worst.

Perhaps I need to find a more leisurely sport to watch, as I can't take part anymore as my co-ordination is totally out.

I used to go fishing and spent many hours sitting reading on the river bank, without catching much. Now I can't do that anymore, but I have an aquarium at home, so I spend my time watching the fish which is very relaxing.

Ken

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Names

hiya ken, i too understand what you are saying as everyday words are hard to pronounce let alone foreign footballers names, but the one one name i know will never pass my lips with praise is MUFC LOL LOL

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hope not

LOL LOL I certainly hope not, but we all have our different veiws on things. Hope that was tactful enough !!LOL LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65