Food suggestions

Palomino

Dec 17, 2023
Looking for some help please, with food suggestions for my Mum. She is constantly phoning me to say that there is nothing in the fridge for her to eat but on the other hand, refuses all the suggestions I make. She has a hot lunch delivered by Meals at Home and the carer (who comes in 4 times a day) can only do limited food prep or heat prepared food. I work full-time and have two children, so can only visit her once a week. We have tried ready meals - but they are not great long term.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Looking for some help please, with food suggestions for my Mum. She is constantly phoning me to say that there is nothing in the fridge for her to eat but on the other hand, refuses all the suggestions I make. She has a hot lunch delivered by Meals at Home and the carer (who comes in 4 times a day) can only do limited food prep or heat prepared food. I work full-time and have two children, so can only visit her once a week. We have tried ready meals - but they are not great long term.
Hi, could one of the carers make her a couple of sandwiches and put them in plastic zip bags in the fridge? She could see what's in the bag and eat them when she wants to.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Palomino.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s issues with for. I know you said ready meals have not worked but I wondered about something like the Wiltshire Farm Foods deliveries, perhaps they would be useful. I think the suggestion made above of having sandwiches visible in the fridge is a good one.

Not sure how helpful this will be for you but I thought I’d share it just in case -

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
This is a tricky one @Palomino. If she is eating the food already provided, is this more an attention seeking call, where she wants to talk to you but can’t think of a reason to call apart from food? I used to leave snacks in full view as my PWD wouldn’t think to actually look inside cupboards and the fridge. I am thinking of snacks like individually wrapped little cakes and biscuits to tide her over, or fruit in a fruit bowl?