Food Isues

Okie

Mar 16, 2012
Hi Everyone! I have just joined Talking Point today. I am a retired dietitian, who used to work in the NHS with a team which gave advice and training to carers in residential and nursing homes. I have been asked to write a piece about dementia and nutrition. Has anyone experience of how to deal effectively and kindly with a resident that steals food from other's plates? Thanks, Okie

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
I've never heard of this myself, but is it possible for the food thief to have his meals separately from others to reduce the likelihood of this happening?

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Or for the person to be sat with and monitored whilst food is being eaten? Out of fork's reach of the next person's plate?

The greater problem posted about is encouraging someone to eat - that's a new one to me!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
There is a food thief in my husband's care home. It is dealt with effectively as a carer alway sits with her and her colleagues and gently removes her hand has it gravitates towards another's plate.

If she needs a second helping they give her one.

So as well as monitoring its important to ensure the said thief is not desperately hungry.

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
My dad is a food thief and he would happily polish off other residents dinner whilst sat at the table. The CH now have given him his own "special table" that only he can sit at because "hes the youngest". Amazingly, their little white lie worked and hes never questioned it.

Okie

Mar 16, 2012
Hallo All who replied to my query. Thank you so much - especially Becky-Jan and Chucky! Your experiences endorsed my own thoughts! And yes, I take on board the need to ensure that the "food thief" is not hungry. Past history of the individual helps too - this gentleman was a POW, so not surprising that he wants to grab food when he sees it! Really helpful advice from you! Okie