Food and eating

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
myOH has always enjoyed his food but the last month or so he has got quite picky.He will eat part of a meal and generally cut up his meat into small pieces and leave it. It makes me really cross and I thought yesterday just the same I felt when my grandchildren didn’t eat what I made. Problem is that what he will eat and enjoy is not reall what I would choose.

Is this another phase of the illness

And do you all eat together or have separate meals .?

Can’t live off shepherds pie for ever !

Thanks

loona

Dec 19, 2016
Hi Rosie4u I know how you feel. My OH used to have a good appetite as well. Over the past year he has only eaten boiled potatoes and carrots as his main meal even though like you I give him a balanced meal. Our GP gave him some protein shake meal replacement which he refuses to drink. He is unable to tell me what he would like. He will not touch any of his old favourite meals. He also stuffs his mouth so full when he does eat that he looks like a hamster. I've had to start removing his plate to prevent him from choking. As long as he eats a reasonable amount in the day I just go with the flow. It is very worrying though. This may not help you very much but at least you will know that you're not alone.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
as @loona says, as long as he eats a reasonable amount don't worry too much. If you are concerned about nutritional value, what about have some snack/ finger foods such as cheese, boiled eggs and cold meats available? You can only try to offer various foods and go from there. You might have to have a separate meal for yourself.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
From my experience with my late father the changes in appetite and types of food were due to his cognitive decline. I felt his brain was not computing the need for food and recognition of food, the illness also for some causes taste changes...what they may have always liked both in taste and texture becomes almost like a foreign object in their mouths...some then develop a liking for food not previously enjoyed pre dementia and as in my dad's case a sweet tooth. He often refused anything savoury but would eat puddibgs so my view was whilst not ideal nutritionally not to get annoyed or upset...it was not conscious deliberate in the sense that he chose in the same way that I chose...so long as I could persuade him to eat something and I also tried a lot of finger type foods and variety and drank fluids. Eventually the phase continued into not eating much at all. Sometimes it helped eating with him even if I ate something different to encourage him but often it made no difference,

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
Hi Rosie4u I know how you feel. My OH used to have a good appetite as well. Over the past year he has only eaten boiled potatoes and carrots as his main meal even though like you I give him a balanced meal. Our GP gave him some protein shake meal replacement which he refuses to drink. He is unable to tell me what he would like. He will not touch any of his old favourite meals. He also stuffs his mouth so full when he does eat that he looks like a hamster. I've had to start removing his plate to prevent him from choking. As long as he eats a reasonable amount in the day I just go with the flow. It is very worrying though. This may not help you very much but at least you will know that you're not alone.

Thank you we had sausages and I don’t think he knew what they were. Good to know others have seen it.

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
as @loona says, as long as he eats a reasonable amount don't worry too much. If you are concerned about nutritional value, what about have some snack/ finger foods such as cheese, boiled eggs and cold meats available? You can only try to offer various foods and go from there. You might have to have a separate meal for yourself.
Thank you - he likes sandwiches and cheese and things like that and specifically cake !

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
From my experience with my late father the changes in appetite and types of food were due to his cognitive decline. I felt his brain was not computing the need for food and recognition of food, the illness also for some causes taste changes...what they may have always liked both in taste and texture becomes almost like a foreign object in their mouths...some then develop a liking for food not previously enjoyed pre dementia and as in my dad's case a sweet tooth. He often refused anything savoury but would eat puddibgs so my view was whilst not ideal nutritionally not to get annoyed or upset...it was not conscious deliberate in the sense that he chose in the same way that I chose...so long as I could persuade him to eat something and I also tried a lot of finger type foods and variety and drank fluids. Eventually the phase continued into not eating much at all. Sometimes it helped eating with him even if I ate something different to encourage him but often it made no difference,

Thank you I’m trying not to worry about throwing food away and wasting time cooking it. I’m just starting smaller portions. Today he didn’t eat his lunch then I found out from the carer he’d had 3 pieces of cake !!!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thank you I’m trying not to worry about throwing food away and wasting time cooking it. I’m just starting smaller portions. Today he didn’t eat his lunch then I found out from the carer he’d had 3 pieces of cake !!!

That's like my dad! The other day he'd eaten everything chocolate in the house. I didn't bother cooking him any tea!!!