Flu Jab

susanandliam

Dec 10, 2012
somerset
Hi

Can anyone advise please?

Mums been in a care home since February and always would normally have had a flu jab by now while living in her own home. She hasn't received one as yet in the care home as yet although I know of people at work who have had theirs.

It seems rather late now, I contacted the home in Sept to ask when the residents would be getting them and received no response. I contacted them again today and they said they contacted the Drs who was unable to tell them when the flu jab would be given and suggested I might have more success!

I rang the Drs who told me that the district nurse had the vaccines but they couldn't tell me when they were going to the home which seems ridiculous!!

I wonder what other people's experiences are?

On the whole have residents had their vaccinations by now?

It just seems irresponsible to have not to have given it to these vulnerable residents by now .

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't think its too late yet. Flu jab season officially started at the beginning of September and will go till January or February. I've had it early and so did OH, but the NHS advises:

"The best time to have a flu vaccine is in the autumn, from the beginning of October to early November, but don't worry if you've missed it, you can have the vaccine later in winter. Ask your GP or pharmacist"

However, it is ridiculous that no one seems to have a plan, especially as all GPs, pharmacists and other health care professionals get told every year to pay particular attention to elderly people.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum's had a letter - but I've not sorted hers out yet.

I had mine when I had my asthma appt, 20 min appt as annual review and took under 15 - son had his nasal spary (for u16s ) in his asthma appt - kill 2 birds with one stone etc.

Think there have been appts here since early Sept

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
At dads NH the flu jabs are being done over the next few weeks for residents. I was asked a couple of weeks ago as previous years whether I wanted dad to have the jab but as is his way with all things medical greatly depends how compliant he will be on the day.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I used to be a Practice Nurse at a GP surgery and we would sort out people in residential settings once we had done the major clinics at the practice.

We were always struggling to find fridge space for several thousand vaccinations, so getting the big clinics done first was a necessity to get rid of the bulk of them. We could give one every minute in the practice compared with just a few per hour if we went out, especially in places where we had only a couple of patients.

The Community Nurses would do some of the residential ones (reluctantly!) and we had no control over how they organised things.

If anyone has a PWD who is mobile and takes them out, many pharmacies are able to give the vac to people who are entitled to a free one. I had mine at the pharmacy in my GP building when I went to collect my meds. I took Mum back a few days later and they gave hers, even though she was not registered at that surgery.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
D/N is doing Dad's tomorrow at home. She would have done it sooner but he was on ABs for ages and they wanted him to finish these first, then it got forgotten again until I reminded them.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad had his flu jab in his care home a month ago but I see at my GP surgery they are still being offered so still in the time frame I would think for your pwd.