Flat viewings - Do I buy or rent

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Scotland is slightly different but on reflection and I was just thinking this point it is best to vacate and rent because if the other family members raise this with the Courts it may then cost the value of the inheritence in any settlement -I am sure a similar process will be the case in Scotland.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Sorry to disagree Nitram (we are, after all, arguing over someone else’s problem!😁) but because there isn’t a will, there are no executors.
OK
They are being referred to as executors who automatically become personal representatives with the duty so I stuck with the term.
If the will does not appoint executors somebody applies for letters of administration to become a personal representative.
( Or whatever Scottish terms are!)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The whole situation is full of conflicts e.g.
TT's solicitors say OP and niece can stay in house until sale.
TTs send eviction notice to niece.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The whole situation is full of conflicts e.g.
TT's solicitors say OP and niece can stay in house until sale.
TTs send eviction notice to niece.
If intestate then it means nothing. I now see where the mooting comes from, they arguing between themselves and trying to put the best argument forward between the solicitors. Ever heard of moot court? It's what barristers do in practicing their skills. Who can give the strongest argument ...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Sometimes it is best to accept what we are given than invoke an entourage of legal fees, I am sure by the end of this what was expected to be 1/3 will be considerably less after the legal bill is paid and there will be no winning of anything.

What this story does tell is to ensure a Will that is legally binding is written and that you include in it the people you wish to include including caveats/ clauses if necessary. Don't leave your loved ones on the edges when you die.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What this story does tell is to ensure a Will that is legally binding is written and that you include in it the people you wish to include including caveats/ clauses if necessary.
And stored somewhere safe where it can be retrieved on death.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
And stored somewhere safe where it can be retrieved on death.
Absolutely -it is worth paying a solicitor one lump some to keep all of your legal papers in their vault and also the best defence against accusations of changing any documentation. Always let your family know the solicitor who keeps your Will and any deeds to any properties you own etc. They won't release anything unless their is proof of death and proof of executor in the first instance.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good morning everyone!

The solicitors kept dad's will as well as the deeds to the house. I realise we have had our discussion on Ineedhelp's affairs!!!!

MaNaAk

Ineedhelp

Apr 10, 2023
Sorry to disagree Nitram (we are, after all, arguing over someone else’s problem!😁) but because there isn’t a will, there are no executors. It’s true nothing can happen till confirmation is granted, but we don’t know if that’s happened or when it might happen. And no idea if this family will abide by the law in any case.
Hi, I appreciate all your help, but I will abide by the law. If I am unable to find the will, the house gets split three ways and I happy and can live with that

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
would it be easier to have one thread going as you might get very different replies to the same question or help needed which would confuse the situation even more?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yourmindanwe