Five copies available of The Reluctant Carer - tell us what you think!

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Our magazine is reading The Reluctant Carer, a very honest account from an anonymous author, for their October book group.

They'd love to involve all of you in reading it and telling them what you think. All the information you need is attached to this post.

They have five extra copies of the book at the time of writing, and they'll send you a hardback copy if you're interested. Whether you read all or some of it, they'd love to hear what you think by the end of next month.

Thanks everyone :)

The Reluctant Carer.jpg

Attachments

• Book group Reluctant Carer - info for readers.pdf
    118 KB · Views: 258

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I would be very interested in reading this book and giving feedback. How should I proceed?
Try and get one of the 5 free copies on offer by emailing your request to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk

If unlucky

In either case send feedback to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I have a copy of this that I picked up at an event for volunteers at my local book festival. I’d enjoy joining in the discussion when other people have read it, not that I've read much of it myself yet.

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
Try and get one of the 5 free copies on offer by emailing your request to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk

If unlucky

In either case send feedback to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk
Thanks - I have requested a free copy and I will order it straight away from the library

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
I ordered this from the library and got it within a week. Worth trying if you don't want to buy it and very well worth reading, I'm a third of the way in and can hardly put it down.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I have now read the book. It was immensely readable, the short chapters appealing if you have limited time to read.

The author details the struggles he has with his parents to keep them safe and well pre pandemic. There are illnesses, exacerbated by his fathers compulsive buying behaviours.
However it made me feel he had it easy….he had weeks off to go and work in London teaching; even a holiday. How many of us caring for a dementia sufferer get that?
His entertaining style of writing whilst easy for the reader masked much of the gravity of the situation and perhaps covered up some of the meaning. In other words joking about a Pooh explosion tones it down for the reader?
Not criticism as I really enjoyed the book and am thankful that I was sent a copy

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Just to let you all know, all five copies have been snapped up by eager readers - thanks so much to you all for your feedback, both via emails and on this thread :)

If anyone has any other comments about the book that they'd like to add, the magazine team will be able to draw on any received before the end of 6 November in their next book group article.

Thanks again everyone!