First week of new job done

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
Here i am 5 days over in the land of the living. I have been exhausted getting into a new routine and trying to learn the ropes of the care home. I am delighted to say the residents are lovely and as for caring for someone with dementia is an honour. I must admit initially starting i freaked silently because the mannerisms i was so used to were in front of me and i mentally was thinking is this for me. glad to say as the day went in it gave me something back i have so missed. watching younger carers who possibly haven't seen the disease get startled is like old hat, everybody is different and yet everybody is the same. i hope soon the hours and routine will be a doddle and still can't quite believe that this time last year i was caring for my mum, the time has flown in and dragged at the same time. oh well, here's hoping my next thread will be even better about how things are absolutely wonderful. take care.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Marchbank, it's so lovely to hear from you. That care home is very lucky to have someone like you working there and the residents are lucky too. I wish you every success and happiness. x

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Can I also wish you well in your new job, and please do let us know how you are getting on. Your viewpoint could be so helpful to so many of us -- point out what the visitors get wrong!
All good wishes,
sleepless.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Marchbank,

Well done and congratulations! You are an inspiration. I often think (and talk to hubby) about how life will be after we lose mum, and how I feel I have learned so much about an illness that I want to put my knowledge to use.

I am seriously thinking of volunteering in the local hospital, to start with. When my youngest child starts school in 3 years, I would like to just be with elderly patients. When my dad was in hospital after his stroke, for 16 weeks, I saw how little time the staff had to chat with them, or offer a cup of tea, or just see if there was anything they might need. I would like to read to them, talk & listen, just offer companionship, especially if their family (like in our case) live far away. I know it's a service that's sorely lacking in the NHS. That's just how it is. I would do this in honour of my dad, who died of lung cancer a year ago.

But what I've learned about dementia, will never leave me, and I would, in time, like to work in a Home too. Just volunteering. I want to be able to manage my own time & judgement.

So I take my hat of to you, and think you are brave, kind, inspirational and giving to be able to do this. I feel that with me, my mum's illness would have contributed so much to others, by teaching me so much. This would be in honour of my mum.

Keep us updated on how you get on.
Lots of love,

mad mel

Jan 21, 2010
london
Congratulations Marchbank on compleating your first week.I know what a big step it was.The home is so lucky to have found you.
I also worked my first shift this week[10.5 hrs].Didn't get the origional job I applied for but by chance found a position five mins from home caring for a bedridden elderly lady who has no short term memory due to brain injury.It's just 1 day a week realise this is all I can manage with present family committments ie.looking after Granddaughter !
Looking forward to hearing more about your job.
Mel x