First post

DaisyP

Oct 2, 2023
My husband has had memory issues for two or three years but was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in February 2023. For the last 18 months he has been incredibly tired and this has worsened. He sleeps 2 hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon, then in between he lies down or sits in a chair, always feeling tired. He’s finding it hard to take an interest in anything and can’t tolerate noise eg grandchildren or dogs. He can’t face even going to the shops now. Is this typical Alzheimer’s at what I thought was early stage? Has anyone else noticed this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @DaisyP

I think your husband is displaying behaviour easily associated with dementia.

A diagnosis is a big shock to the system and there`s a lot to be processed. It could be too much for your husband and he is finding it easier to withdraw.

Going to the shops requires a lot of different processes which can include too much of everything; too much noise, too many people, too much produce, navigation, social interaction. I don`t think any of us realise how much we do automatically but when dementia comes into the mix, thought is needed for every action.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think possibly your husband is further on than you realise @DaisyP
The things that you describe are all behaviours associated with dementia, but typically they appear later on in the diseases progression

DaisyP

Oct 2, 2023
Welcome @DaisyP

I think your husband is displaying behaviour easily associated with dementia.

A diagnosis is a big shock to the system and there`s a lot to be processed. It could be too much for your husband and he is finding it easier to withdraw.

Going to the shops requires a lot of different processes which can include too much of everything; too much noise, too many people, too much produce, navigation, social interaction. I don`t think any of us realise how much we do automatically but when dementia comes into the mix, thought is needed for every action.
That is true. Thanks for writing.

DaisyP

Oct 2, 2023
I think possibly your husband is further on than you realise @DaisyP
The things that you describe are all behaviours associated with dementia, but typically they appear later on in the diseases progression
Yes, I was wondering, but his memory issues are not too bad at the moment. Thank you for answering.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @DaisyP.

I wondered if this link would be of interest. It covers a number of symptoms of Alzheimerls