fingers locking

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
This morning my piglet had s sudden locking of the second finger on the right hand. It went over to the thrird finger and went rigid. She said it hurt, which i can well believe as it looked very painful and she had to sit down, I massaged it with some tiger balm ointment ( which is like deep heat) that i have used on myself. After a couple of minutes it eased, but the pain made her tired so she went to lay on the bed. The pain then came back also appeared in her shoulder and thigh. After some more massage it eased some what and she dozed off. She is still on the bed asleep, which is probably a good thing as she is no chicken anymore ( she is 92). Anyway I started to do a little research and decovered that tis is another bit of having dementia that i did not know and was not told about ( as with most other stuff regarding this bloody disease). She did wake up at lunchtime and started to tell me i should find someone else, yeah right, as if after 44yrs and I'm 80. ( why would i go through this again) Thank you god for such a wonderful end to life!!!!! Sorry crying I;m an idiot.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm so sorry to hear that @tonebear, you are far from being an idiot, just someone caring for your much loved piglet with this awful disease. You're right there are so many things about dementia you are not aware of until you are dealing with them, and I'm afraid most of them aren't good. Have you any help coming in, so that you can get a break?

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
I'm so sorry to hear that @tonebear, you are far from being an idiot, just someone caring for your much loved piglet with this awful disease. You're right there are so many things about dementia you are not aware of until you are dealing with them, and I'm afraid most of them aren't good. Have you any help coming in, so that you can get a break?
yes got a very good friend and neighbour comes for three hours a week and anything else that turns up. Thank heaven

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Sorry to read this @tonebear. This illness keeps throwing things at our loved ones. Are you able to access any support for you?

Thinking of you both.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Could be shes developing a physical condition thats actually causing pain but is unable to explain.
K

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hi @tonebear, sorry to be reading this, Mum had arthritis in her fingers long before dementia reared it's ugly head and her fingers would sometimes go exactly as you have described. Now Mum's whole hands seem to clench up (sorry that's the only way I can think to describe it) and they look like a claw. When they go like this she will not let anyone touch them - she can be aggressive - sometimes she will drop off to sleep and as her body relaxes so do her hands. The nurse will offer her painkillers but Mum is getting more and more difficult to give tablets to. Very occasionally she will let me very gently hold her hands and I think the warmth does help, so I think you are doing the right thing doing the massage and balm. I've tried to get mum to wear woollen gloves as her hands are always cold due to poor circulation so maybe this may be worth a try.

Sadly for carers it always seems to be a matter of trial and error as to what will help/work. Best wishes

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Hi @tonebear, sorry to be reading this, Mum had arthritis in her fingers long before dementia reared it's ugly head and her fingers would sometimes go exactly as you have described. Now Mum's whole hands seem to clench up (sorry that's the only way I can think to describe it) and they look like a claw. When they go like this she will not let anyone touch them - she can be aggressive - sometimes she will drop off to sleep and as her body relaxes so do her hands. The nurse will offer her painkillers but Mum is getting more and more difficult to give tablets to. Very occasionally she will let me very gently hold her hands and I think the warmth does help, so I think you are doing the right thing doing the massage and balm. I've tried to get mum to wear woollen gloves as her hands are always cold due to poor circulation so maybe this may be worth a try.

Sadly for carers it always seems to be a matter of trial and error as to what will help/work. Best wishes
Good point about the gloves , her hands are always cold sometimes very and i know she has the start of arthritis, so yes maybe that's it. Thanks.

littlebylittle

May 21, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Could the finger locking be trigger finger? I have it on a finger (I don’t have dementia). It can be painful and I sometimes have to straighten it out with my other hand.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Could the finger locking be trigger finger? I have it on a finger (I don’t have dementia). It can be painful and I sometimes have to straighten it out with my other hand.

I was thinking the same. I have trigger thumb. Over the last couple of years my GP has given me steroid injections in it. There were painful - but so was straightening the thumb every morning. Over the last while it has eased off. It‘s still sore but doesn’t lock.

Have you asked the GP about this @tonebear?

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Good thought, but unfortunately wrong as i have tigger finger in both hands and the configuration is different. But thanks for the idea.