Fingers crossed.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thought I would just do a little update on mum and her asking to go home, as you know I wrote on a piece of paper (on the wall where she sits)
'DO NOT ASK TO GO HOME, AS THIS IS YOUR HOME.'
Anyway, Mum has asked a few times about going home and I just point to the piece of paper which mum reads, and then says 'sorry darling I forgot' or words to that effect. I am not that daft to think this will work forever, but i'm happy that it seems to be working for now and most important it means no more arguments. :)

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi Caraboose

What a good idea. I hope it continues to work for a long time.

I'm just off to see my Mum now and dread the continuous question "When can I go home!"

Love
Pauline

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hi Carabosse

I am so pleased for you. As you said if it works for a few weeks then it is worth it. Its good to find something that works xx

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Hence the fingers crossed..... i'm hoping for this lasting more than a few days or weeks, we shall see :)

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Oh Carabosse

Im also pleased its worked for you

I could do with something similar as mil always want to go home but she cant read anymore
Not that she knows where home is anymore.. she also doesn`t want to go alone,she wants my hubby to stay with her at her home

Nice mil I have :mad:

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Gordon has spent the day asking How did I get here?? How did you get here?? I have to go home tonight!! I have to be at work tomorrow morning!!

I have to organise the removal men to take my things back home!!!

He asked me if I was organised too and I said I was staying here. He replied " I don' t blame you!!!!"

He is not in the least worried that he will be leaving me behind.

Sadly I do not think a notice like yours would help, but I am glad it is for you.

I ended up going to sleep on the settee while he was mumbling. That is my escape. However as soon as I woke up he started again.

It is amazing how many with dementia have this drive to go home.

Jeannette

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
That's true, I have often asked mum where 'home' is thinking its a place where she grew up or lived before she married dad and had me, but no she says the name of the town we are in hence the reason I thought the sign would save me repeating or trying to tell mum she was home.
As I said I know it won't always work, but happy it is for now.
I somehow feel if I ever fell asleep and there have been times when having a migraine that I would be prodded in the arm to be woken up and asked if I am alright!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Can this happen even if they have lived in the same house 20,30,40 years?
Is it otherwise generally a yearning for their house from their childood?

Hi
I am afraid it can

Personally I think it may be more to do with Confusion, being unable to recognise where they are as well as as needing to be in a place where they feel safe
I also noticed that as this vile disease progressed my mum believed she was m3uch younger than her 83 years , so I do think with my mum, it was her childhood home that she wanted to go I
Home to as in her mind being a child she knew she should be with her mum rather than this strange place with me calling her mum

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Sometimes when mum goes to bed she'll say 'oh am I going in here', its like she doesn't recognise the room, her furniture, her clothes in the wardrobes, etc. even though she has been in the for years (she used to share it with dad). In saying that once I point out the stuff is hers she will say 'oh, of course it is.'
With the 'going home' and the not recognising things its like another bit of mum is slowly disappearing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellepalmer1