Finding non-agency carers

Griff001

Jan 15, 2019
I'm looking for a carer to take my dad for a walk a few times a week. We don't want to go to an agency as we'd rather pay the carer direct.

We cannot find any register of carers outside of agencies. Anyone able to direct us to somewhere?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Please be aware that if you want to pay someone direct, that makes you an employer, and you will have to comply with all employment laws including registering yourself, paying NI contributions etc.

To be honest, if there is no personal care involved and it's just about keeping your Dad company, a befriender could do that. Check out Age UK in your area.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I'm looking for a carer to take my dad for a walk a few times a week. We don't want to go to an agency as we'd rather pay the carer direct.

We cannot find any register of carers outside of agencies. Anyone able to direct us to somewhere?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You can do a post code check for support services in your area if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016

My MIL had a befriending service from a local charity who kept her company and took her out occasionally.

Griff001

Jan 15, 2019
Please be aware that if you want to pay someone direct, that makes you an employer, and you will have to comply with all employment laws including registering yourself, paying NI contributions etc.

To be honest, if there is no personal care involved and it's just about keeping your Dad company, a befriender could do that. Check out Age UK in your area.
Thanks Beaten. I've looked into this before. You would only be classed as an employer if the carer couldn't work with anyone else. The carer would be self-employed. If we were hiring someone pretty much full time, we would be their employer, as it's a few hours a week, they would be self -employed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T