Finding it hard to accept...

meatloafan

Jan 23, 2019
Hi, my dad (74) was diagnosed with Alzheimers dementia about 5 months ago when I noticed he'd forget the names of things and people, but he wasn't doing too bad and I became hopeful this stage would last a good while. Then 2 weeks ago he was admitted into hospital with a chest infection that left him very unsteady on his feet-he is still in there now, and I've noticed a big change in his dementia to the point he is seeing thing and all sorts!
Now being new to this I'm not sure if this is just because he is out of routine or if this is the 'new' normal. I am finding it very distressing to hear all the things he believes he is seeing and am worried about the near future as he lives alone and I am the only family he has... will living independently be possible or? anyway way I've waffled enough its just nice to know your not alone x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, meatloafan. Sorry your dad is in hospital, I know how stressful that can be and you will find a lot of support here. It's always hard to say with dementia, my partner has Vascular so not an expert on Alzheimer, but chest infections like any illness can make the symptoms worse before returning to a better level when the infection clears up. I hope he is better soon. All the best to you both.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @meatloafan

Infections of any sort always play havoc with people who have dementia, but especially urine and chest infections.
It sounds to me as though your dad has delirium, which can happen with infections and can take a while to resolve. I think it likely that your dad will improve, though probably not to the level that he was before.

Make sure he has an assessment by the hospital Social Worker and a care plan put in place before he is discharged.