Financial Assessment

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It seems incredible that it is almost exactly 3 years since I first approached the council for a financial assessment for my wife. At that time her capital was well above the threshold so the assessment was limited to a short phone call just to ascertain that fact. Since then she has self-funded support at home (initially) and, for the last 18 months, her residential care costs. In another few weeks she will be at or below the threshold and another financial assessment will be needed. With potential delays due to Covid-19 restrictions in mind I have submitted a 'Capital Reduction' form as the first part of the process. It will be interesting to see how the assessment will be conducted and the extent of evidence that I will be required to show. I'm ready.

Last edited:

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Earlier this month I had a call from the same chap at the council finance department that I spoke to 3 years ago. He requested one year's worth of statements for each of my wife's accounts. I emailed these to him with a summary of her income and expenditure (care costs). I included an extract from my records showing how each month of care costs has been paid and the reduction in her capital over time.

Yesterday I received confirmation that my wife will continue as a self-funder until the end of December, at which point her capital will be below the threshold.

I need to inform DWP as Attendance Allowance will cease to be payable after 4 weeks when the Local Authority starts to make a contribution to her care costs. For those 4 weeks she will pay at a higher rate (but less than the self-funding rate). Thereafter her contribution will reduce further to a level that is sustainable from her income.

This all seems straightforward and quick, helped by the fact that there is no need for 3rd party top-ups as her care home accepts the Local Authority rate.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That sounds very efficiently done and sorted. One less thing to worry about.
I hope your wife is doing ok @northumbrian_k . This whole covid thing has made looking after our loved one in care homes so much more difficult, so glad that there wasn't any stress over sorting out her finances.