Financial assessment residential care home

Peggypoo

Feb 18, 2024
My father has just moved into a care home and my mother is awaiting the Financial assessment to be completed. I am trying to research what the top up will be (if any) that my Dad has to pay. Naturally I am worried about my mother’s finances as I have read they will take my father’s full state pension into account and he will have to use this towards his care. My mum’s pension is next to nothing. He is below the savings threshold so fully understand how the disregard works for savings & capital of their home (as it is her main residence) but cannot find details or any calculators online to help obtain a rough estimate to help settle her mind. Can anyone please provide any guidance or know if such calculators exist online?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I doubt it exists- each home charges differently

You dad isnt allowed to pay his own top up, it has to be a 3rd party

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
As @Jessbow says, there isn't one, although I would have thought the home could give a ballpark idea of what their average top-up is.

Just so you're aware, a top-up is voluntary and you can not be made to pay it. If a third-party is unable or unwilling to pay a top-up then the home can either accept the LA rate or ask your father to move. If they won't except the LA rate then the LA has to offer at least one other home in their area which will accept the LA rate and can meet his needs. If there is no availability at the cheaper home (or there isn't one in the area) then they must increase the funding to cover the current homes fees.

Last edited:

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
If your dad is below the savings threshold and only has a state pension, I’m not sure your mum will need to pay any top up, he should be fully funded. Also as @Dave63 has said.

Peggypoo

Feb 18, 2024
If your dad is below the savings threshold and only has a state pension, I’m not sure your mum will need to pay any top up, he should be fully funded. Also as @Dave63 has said.
Thank you ☺️
Thank you ☺️
They leave the person in care with £28 a week for personal expenses
thankyou

Honey Peach

Feb 20, 2024
My father has just moved into a care home and my mother is awaiting the Financial assessment to be completed. I am trying to research what the top up will be (if any) that my Dad has to pay. Naturally I am worried about my mother’s finances as I have read they will take my father’s full state pension into account and he will have to use this towards his care. My mum’s pension is next to nothing. He is below the savings threshold so fully understand how the disregard works for savings & capital of their home (as it is her main residence) but cannot find details or any calculators online to help obtain a rough estimate to help settle her mind. Can anyone please provide any guidance or know if such calculators exist online?
Hi Not sure what your Area Authority is, but if you go to Adult Social Care. Then search Care Contribution Calculator. It is on the website, which is owned by the Government, so it should be available in all the different authorities. It is an online form. You can use it without registering, but if you complete it and want to submit it you will need to register your Dad.