On going into a care home- are assets frozen & what about house bills?

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Hi all, my mum is at the point in her dementia journey when we are contemplating a move to a care home.

The process of moving into a home seems to involve a financial assessment by the local authority etc. and here in Wales, the threshold for them paying for cost of care is 50K which is going to be above what mum has.
When mum does go to a home, will her assets/pensions be frozen by the LA?, will any savings below the 50K be frozen or will they still be accessible? I'm thinking in terms of keeping paying bills at her house where my brother is living at the moment as her carer.

Thanks!

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Thanks for they reply Nitram, some really great factsheets there. I still couldn't find an answer to the bit of my question that asked whether the 50k threshold could still be accessed through an LPA for things like keeping the electric on and house insurance.
Appreciated!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
In England the lower limit can be used on anything to benefit the DWP.
Best ask Age Cymru for answer in Wales.

Who owns the house?

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Hi, yes sure, am I correct in thinking though that they wouldn't demand the house sale straight away and that we could get deferred payment agreement, I ask because my brother is still living there for the time being.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could get deferred payment, ask the LA.
Brother would have to pay market rental rate with a formal contract.

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Hi, thanks, interesting about the requirement to pay rent, would you be able to point me to some formal legislation on that? Don't worry if not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulseo823