Final Year Product Design Project on Dementia

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think it looks lovely, beautifully made, although I have to say it does look childish - my mother wouldn't mind this at all though as she's happy hugging cuddly toys.

I like the idea of the new stick-on scenes - do you remember Fuzzy Felt? I loved that as a child, I'm pleased to see they still make it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-9473-Fuzzy-Felt-Animals/dp/B0058GNTQS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=15SSD4PS9RK87&keywords=fuzzy+felt&qid=1575456662&s=kids&sprefix=fuzy,toys,141&sr=1-2

I still have reservations about it, but I think relatives may like it and it's the relatives who will be buying, not the PWD. Would I buy it for my mother? No, because she's in a CH and even if she liked it, it would get ruined or disappear. I think it would be more use for someone who is living at home.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I like the idea of the new stick-on scenes - do you remember Fuzzy Felt? I loved that as a child

I loved fuzzy felt too. In fact I'm getting some for Mum for Christmas and if she doesn't play with it I will :p

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I have a few questions for you:
1. How long did it take you to make it? Will it be hand-made if it goes into production?
2. What would the retail price be?
3. Is it washable? It doesn't look like it. I'm wondering how easy it would be to remove custard, wee, vomit, etc.

Holly1997

Oct 6, 2019
I have a few questions for you:
1. How long did it take you to make it? Will it be hand-made if it goes into production?
2. What would the retail price be?
3. Is it washable? It doesn't look like it. I'm wondering how easy it would be to remove custard, wee, vomit, etc.
Hi there!

Thanks so much for these questions!

It took me a few days, however in theory if it was to go into production it would be batch produced/mass on an assembly line rather than hand-made.

I was looking at how much the retail price is for current objects on the market and they were quite high and from primary research I saw this was a problem for those buying for relatives with Dementia. I took into consideration the material costs etc and I am looking at something around the £29.99 mark in theory!

I have made sure that all fabric pages can go into the machine at a very low/cold wash or be hand washed to make cleaning it easy for the carers.

Let me know what you think! :)

Holly1997

Oct 6, 2019
I think it looks lovely, beautifully made, although I have to say it does look childish - my mother wouldn't mind this at all though as she's happy hugging cuddly toys.

I like the idea of the new stick-on scenes - do you remember Fuzzy Felt? I loved that as a child, I'm pleased to see they still make it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-9473-Fuzzy-Felt-Animals/dp/B0058GNTQS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=15SSD4PS9RK87&keywords=fuzzy+felt&qid=1575456662&s=kids&sprefix=fuzy,toys,141&sr=1-2

I still have reservations about it, but I think relatives may like it and it's the relatives who will be buying, not the PWD. Would I buy it for my mother? No, because she's in a CH and even if she liked it, it would get ruined or disappear. I think it would be more use for someone who is living at home.

Thanks so much :) I'm tempted by Fuzzy Felt now as a christmas present for myself now that you've mentioned it, I can imagine hours of fun:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5