Feeling very sad about my mum

Mollly505

Jan 28, 2017
I last posted on here over a year ago when my mum who has FTD went into a care home. She settled quite well and at times was happy but she has gone downhill and recently became aggressive and hit carers as well as residents. It all came to head this week when she also threatened to jump out of a window. She was taken to hospital by ambulance and is now in a mental health hospital under section. I visited her today and she was in a terrible state shouting and pacing and trying to get out. She will be there for at least a month and we hope they can get her meds right and calm her. The team seem very competent and provisonal. It's so heartbreaking to see her like this and something we all need to adjust to. It's a massive shock. There is no happy ending to this and that's what's so tough. I am not really looking for advice. Just wanted to put it on a group where people understand. Thank you.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That is tough. I don't have any experience of this so don't have any advice. I just wanted to let you know that someone is listening.
I wish you the strength you will need.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
So sorry to hear this Molly505 I used to work on wards like this, and understand how very hard it must be to watch your loved one going through it. It's a cruel disease, but you have all the support of people on this site. Your mum is with professional nurses who know how to best manage the situation which has to be a comfort and nothing can take away your memories of happier times, don't let go of that. Take care.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
My only experience with sectioning is the US version, which happened to my mother three years ago. They did get her medications straightened out and also a number of tests, assessments, and treatments she needed for various medical issues. It was overwhelmingly positive, the staff were fabulous, and the ward was nice. Still a hospital, but much nicer than the average hospital, and vastly better than what I'd expected.

I know your situation may be quite different, but I hope they are able to help your mum and perhaps you will get some relief. FTD is a difficult dementia to deal with. I wish I had better advice for you, and I'm sorry I don't, but you are in good company here on TP and you are always welcome.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lynne askew