Feeling I've made a mistake, and struggling with guilt.

Jenferan

Mar 29, 2022
Hi all. I found this forum because I am really struggling with my mum's situation, and am searching for some clarity. I also think just writing it down might help.

Mum is 86 with mid-late stage Alzheimers. She has had dementia for three years. Until a month ago she lived with my father who is also 86 and has COPD, and a lot of pain from various ailments. Mum suffers from severe time-shifting, lack of co-ordination, can need feeding, is doubly incontinent, and constantly tries to escape and 'go home'. Since mum's diagnosis he has steadily fought the idea of any help except from family, only giving in when he was at the end of his tether. He has called us at all hours of the day and night, and has been quite vile to my sister and her daughter who have been the ones who lived closest and therefore picked up most of the daily caring. I visit once or twice a week and do all the legal stuff and bills etc. He refuses to accept she is 'as bad as we all say she is' and would not even consider respite. He refuses to try to talk to her in the way that is suggested for dementia sufferers and some days would have her in tears as he virtually rubbed her nose is her faecal messes and told everyone who would listen every time she did something difficult. About 8 weeks ago mum was due for a reassessment as we had asked for more care hours (Her PA could not cope and gave in her notice). The social worker arrived just as we were clearing up after mum had soiled the bed after being showered and dad was kicking off. The social worker said mum needed 24 hour care and that clearly dad could not cope. My sister is near a nervous breakdown with mums care and dads terrible attitude. The social worker agreed to reasses after she had been in respite for two weeks.

After the second assessment, SW said mum definitley needed a care home but the respite place could not meet her needs. We found what we thought was a suitable home and tried to talk to dad about it. He flew into a rage and said we had all been plotting to get rid of mum since her diagnosis. This could not be further from the truth, but it still is very triggering. I ended up saying that if this was his attitude he could deal with her by himself and walked out, along with my sister. Not very helpful I know but I had had enough.

In the end he apologised and said he knew it was inevitable and we placed mum in a small EMI only home last week. We have all done nothing but cry since then. Guilt, sadness, and a strong feeling we have done the wrong thing. Mum used to ask to go home when she was at home, sometimes as often as every few minutes starting as soon as she got up, and we thought it was dads attitude that was making her unhappy. However she is doing the same at the home and of course dad thinks she is asking for him. Especially as she calls his name and that of my sister (although when he is there she does not know him) He seizes on every possible thing she says as evidence she should be at home with him. I thought her being in a care home would make things easier, mum would be happier and save my sister's sanity but we are all much worse.

I cannot decide if we are visiting too much - every day. If she will settle given time. Or if we just have to accept her life will seem to be terrible and live with the guilt. Its not that she has bad care. The home has an Outstanding care rating with the CQC and all the staff are lovely. But I cannot think of anything else at the moment. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi all. I found this forum because I am really struggling with my mum's situation, and am searching for some clarity. I also think just writing it down might help.

Mum is 86 with mid-late stage Alzheimers. She has had dementia for three years. Until a month ago she lived with my father who is also 86 and has COPD, and a lot of pain from various ailments. Mum suffers from severe time-shifting, lack of co-ordination, can need feeding, is doubly incontinent, and constantly tries to escape and 'go home'. Since mum's diagnosis he has steadily fought the idea of any help except from family, only giving in when he was at the end of his tether. He has called us at all hours of the day and night, and has been quite vile to my sister and her daughter who have been the ones who lived closest and therefore picked up most of the daily caring. I visit once or twice a week and do all the legal stuff and bills etc. He refuses to accept she is 'as bad as we all say she is' and would not even consider respite. He refuses to try to talk to her in the way that is suggested for dementia sufferers and some days would have her in tears as he virtually rubbed her nose is her faecal messes and told everyone who would listen every time she did something difficult. About 8 weeks ago mum was due for a reassessment as we had asked for more care hours (Her PA could not cope and gave in her notice). The social worker arrived just as we were clearing up after mum had soiled the bed after being showered and dad was kicking off. The social worker said mum needed 24 hour care and that clearly dad could not cope. My sister is near a nervous breakdown with mums care and dads terrible attitude. The social worker agreed to reasses after she had been in respite for two weeks.

After the second assessment, SW said mum definitley needed a care home but the respite place could not meet her needs. We found what we thought was a suitable home and tried to talk to dad about it. He flew into a rage and said we had all been plotting to get rid of mum since her diagnosis. This could not be further from the truth, but it still is very triggering. I ended up saying that if this was his attitude he could deal with her by himself and walked out, along with my sister. Not very helpful I know but I had had enough.

In the end he apologised and said he knew it was inevitable and we placed mum in a small EMI only home last week. We have all done nothing but cry since then. Guilt, sadness, and a strong feeling we have done the wrong thing. Mum used to ask to go home when she was at home, sometimes as often as every few minutes starting as soon as she got up, and we thought it was dads attitude that was making her unhappy. However she is doing the same at the home and of course dad thinks she is asking for him. Especially as she calls his name and that of my sister (although when he is there she does not know him) He seizes on every possible thing she says as evidence she should be at home with him. I thought her being in a care home would make things easier, mum would be happier and save my sister's sanity but we are all much worse.

I cannot decide if we are visiting too much - every day. If she will settle given time. Or if we just have to accept her life will seem to be terrible and live with the guilt. Its not that she has bad care. The home has an Outstanding care rating with the CQC and all the staff are lovely. But I cannot think of anything else at the moment. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Hello @Jenferan

Its is all so difficult isn't it. I am still feeling guilt after two years of mum being in an EMI unit. Its an awful path to have to walk, but if we don't who will do what is inevitably difficult? Far better these decisions are taken by someone who loves the person than by an other authority and some people with dementia are not so lucky in that respect because of prior life experiences which is understandable. I found the whole thing incrediably hard and still do, especially in the first year when mum came very close to leaving me and I made sure I was with her, she held my hand and said 'I've missed you' luckily she rallied and as time has gone by she has become very settled in her new home. Equally when mum was at home before she went into care she no longer had any real association with it as her own sense of being was changing. Visiting can be tricky because people with dementia are still people that retain a sense of implicit memory, they will have a stronger bond with someone who was always kind to them, even if they can't remember or word find the specifics -so in a way as much as it is emotionally hard you also know you are still very much a part of your mums implicit memory.

My dad when he was dying wanted me to move mum to a new home (not a care home) etc, but it was too late. By the time the funeral was over and things settled, moving mum to a new home wasn't possible she would never have coped -I hope that gives you some peace

Jenferan

Mar 29, 2022
Hello @Jenferan

Its is all so difficult isn't it. I am still feeling guilt after two years of mum being in an EMI unit. Its an awful path to have to walk, but if we don't who will do what is inevitably difficult? Far better these decisions are taken by someone who loves the person than by an other authority and some people with dementia are not so lucky in that respect because of prior life experiences which is understandable. I found the whole thing incrediably hard and still do, especially in the first year when mum came very close to leaving me and I made sure I was with her, she held my hand and said 'I've missed you' luckily she rallied and as time has gone by she has become very settled in her new home. Equally when mum was at home before she went into care she no longer had any real association with it as her own sense of being was changing. Visiting can be tricky because people with dementia are still people that retain a sense of implicit memory, they will have a stronger bond with someone who was always kind to them, even if they can't remember or word find the specifics -so in a way as much as it is emotionally hard you also know you are still very much a part of your mums implicit memory.

My dad when he was dying wanted me to move mum to a new home (not a care home) etc, but it was too late. By the time the funeral was over and things settled, moving mum to a new home wasn't possible she would never have coped -I hope that gives you some peace
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Its helps t know we are not alone.

Bakerst

Mar 4, 2022
Hello and welcome ☺
Please try to persevere with your Mum where she is, she will settle eventually, I know it is really hard, especially with your Dad, but in the end, if your Dad had carried on as he did, your Mum could have been removed from her home away from him. I know your Dad can't or doesn't want to accept what has happened to your Mum and maybe that is the reason he acts as he does but basically it could and would be classed as abuse of a vulnerable adult. You are doing what you can to help them both, please don't feel guilty, you are doing the right thing and you have this forum to help. It has been a massive help to me. Best wishes to you and your family

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
I'm so sorry to hear your situation. I'm not sure I have any advice, but wanted you to know you are not alone. I have found this forum so helpful - often just writing it all down helps - and certainly hearing from others that you are not alone.
It really is such a devastating illness that impacts on everybody who cares for the person with it, involving sadness, grief, anger, frustration, guilt and fear.
You are doing what you can to help your parents; please try not to feel guilty.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
If she was just placed last week, I'd have thought that you give her a couple of weeks at least before you visit. She needs time to adjust as much as she can.
There are many threads on here about pwds who complain bitterly to relatives but as soon as the visit is over are as happy as Larry

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sure you have made the right decision and I expect that, deep down you know this too. It is very hard, though, when you are going against what people want, but there comes a time when you have to stop enabling their wants and start to implement their needs.

Its very very early days for your mum, your dad and for you too. It will take time for everyone to adjust to the new situation. When my mum first moved into a care home she was constantly "packing to go home" - but she did not mean her home of 30 years, she wanted to go home to her childhood home where she was sure that her parents and siblings (all long dead) were waiting for her! You might find that your mum isnt thinking about the home she shared with your dad, but some other home, too. The desire to "go home" is almost universal in the later stages of dementia, but what they are asking for is to go back to a time before dementia where they felt safe.

My mum did eventually settle, but it took a couple of months, so give it all time.
xx

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Oh goodness this is heartbreaking.
I often say putting dad in a care home was the worst thing I did, I felt so bad - but it was also the best thing I did, for him. Personally I'd stop the visits, for a week or two, maybe say you're on holiday. Have a break. Then see if you want to visit weekly or something more reasonable. Mum needs to rely on the carers in the home. But settling is likely to take months not weeks and certainly not days.
I don't know quite how I'd deal with your father in your position, but I hope you can come to a happy conclusion.

Jenferan

Mar 29, 2022
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to reply. We are going to try to leave her for a few days - we have to in a way because my sister also cares for her grandson who has just come down with COVID - and maybe call at the weekend. I know deep down there was no other practical option, its just very hard when I've been trying to look after mum's emotional needs to leave her.