Feeling defeated at the first hurdle

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France
But in my mum's case, it's the opposite as she has never taken advice from anyone in her life! :)

My mother is the same - very very difficult.

I got POA last year - just in time as it happens, but I was on tenterhooks until it was all signed and processed. Like you she is self-funding and totally resistant to any help, and I knew I could do NOTHING unless I could write the cheques etc... for care.

From what you are saying, I think your priority shuld be to TRY and get POA asap. Otherwise you will have no control over the situation.

Do you have a solicitor whom your mother trusts, and who understand the situation ? The solicitor needs to see your mother alone to be sure she has capacity to sign the POA. My mother had enough capacity to do this last year - but still refused to sign for me (she wanted her granddaughter instead!). I tried flattery, but that didn't work, and in the end, I lied and told her that if she didn't sign the POA, then Social Services would step in and we would have no control over where she went, or what happened. I said that if I had POA, I could help her stay in her own home - which is what she wanted.

That is what I did, for months, but it didn't work - she refused "outsiders" coming into her home to help, so she has now gone into a NH.

If I had not had POA, I can't bear to think what would have happened - she is just so resistant and strong-minded!

Even if you do get Deputyship from the Court of Protection, I believe you are in a stronger position if you already have POA.

Good luck...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Angela T;1157936 Even if you do get Deputyship from the Court of Protection said:
If youve got POA you dont need COP deputyship.
The point of COP is when there is no POA and the person is no longer capable of appointing someone (because they have lost capacity). In this case you apply to the Court of Protection and the court gains the POA and they appoint a deputy (usually the person who applied) to sort everything out.

Having COP deputyship is a bit more restrictive than POA, but gives you very similar powers.

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
My mother is the same - very very difficult.

I got POA last year - just in time as it happens, but I was on tenterhooks until it was all signed and processed. Like you she is self-funding and totally resistant to any help, and I knew I could do NOTHING unless I could write the cheques etc... for care.

From what you are saying, I think your priority shuld be to TRY and get POA asap. Otherwise you will have no control over the situation.

Do you have a solicitor whom your mother trusts, and who understand the situation ? The solicitor needs to see your mother alone to be sure she has capacity to sign the POA. My mother had enough capacity to do this last year - but still refused to sign for me (she wanted her granddaughter instead!). I tried flattery, but that didn't work, and in the end, I lied and told her that if she didn't sign the POA, then Social Services would step in and we would have no control over where she went, or what happened. I said that if I had POA, I could help her stay in her own home - which is what she wanted.

That is what I did, for months, but it didn't work - she refused "outsiders" coming into her home to help, so she has now gone into a NH.

If I had not had POA, I can't bear to think what would have happened - she is just so resistant and strong-minded!

Even if you do get Deputyship from the Court of Protection, I believe you are in a stronger position if you already have POA.

Good luck...

Thank you Angela, you seem to totally understand where I'm coming from :) I don't have a solicitor but I am very hopeful that her friend who's willing to be the Certificate Provider will be able to persuade her as she's known him almost her whole life and so trusts him. We will see!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you Angela, you seem to totally understand where I'm coming from :) I don't have a solicitor but I am very hopeful that her friend who's willing to be the Certificate Provider will be able to persuade her as she's known him almost her whole life and so trusts him. We will see!

I do hope you get it tubbsy as it will make things so much easier, but even if you dont (I never did) it is not the end of the world. The main thing is to get control over her finances so that you can sort out her care and pay her bills.
:)

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
I do hope you get it tubbsy as it will make things so much easier, but even if you dont (I never did) it is not the end of the world. The main thing is to get control over her finances so that you can sort out her care and pay her bills.
:)

Thanks Canary :) I'll update this thread next weekend to let you know!

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France

Yes that sounds positive - if your mother trusts her friend, he might be able to persuade her. I hope it works out !

Thinking of you :)