Feel so helpless

CatPR1

Sep 13, 2018
Hi, My mum lives an hour away from me at the moment and I Am her only daughter we lost my Dad 6 years and shortly after this she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. The heartbreaking truth is that I don’t feel like I ever got to grieve for my Dad passing away as my Mum didn’t cope very well and here we are now 6 years on and now mid way through Alzheimer’s. She lives in a warden controlled flat at present owned by the Cathedral and 2 weeks ago on my Father In Laws funeral I had a letter from the cathedral basically saying that they’d heRd reports of Mum very confused knocking on doors and wondering early in the morning etc.. due to this they felt she could no longer stay where she was and I had to find her a home.
She was 70 on Sunday she doesn’t know she has to move and will be heartbroken I don’t know how to tell her. As social services are funding and she is class3d as an emergency they want to place her locally to where she lives even to the point I had a phone call to say they will take her tomorrow. I’m really struggling with all this and can’t get my head round how quickly this has com3 about. I work full time and have 2 small children. I have looked locally by me for homes but a lot don’t have any beds. It’s just so sad all of it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @CatPR1 and welcome to Talking Point.

The most important thing at the moment is that your Mum is kept safe. As Normaleila says, once they get to the stage of being very confused and start knocking on other peoples doors and wandering during the night they are not safe. This happened to my mum too, so I know how heartbreaking it is, but a care home will undoubtedly be the best place for her.

As this is an emergency placement I think you will just have to accept wherever there is space for the time being, but you could look for other places, maybe get her name on the waiting list of a couple of them and (while you are waiting for her name to come up) work with the Local Authority to get her moved. I dont know your mums financial details, but moving her will be easier if she will be self-funded and also if you hold Health & Welfare POA.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hi CatPR1,

If your Mum does ask why she has to move then tell her a white lie - tell her there is a problem with her flat or it needs some work done - whatever works (I've got fairly good at lying to my Mum). Good luck and be kind to yourself

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp