Feel so helpless

Lucy1978

May 8, 2017
Hi all, not really sure how to start but my Dad is at what I can only call late stage Lewy Body Dementia. That in itself is enough but we were only given his diagnosis in March and was put into a CH pretty much straight away and already he has declined so much. I was contacted by the CH on Sunday to advise that he had to be sent into A&E with a UTI, problems passing water etc and asked if they wanted me to go with him. He is bed-bound, has very little communication left apart from increasing in volume vocalisation I was in A&E with him on my own for 6 hours it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, so far. He was so distressed from the minute we got in the ambulance until we got him back in the CH and I think it finally sunk in how far down the line he is. He's suffering every single day and I dont know how long he/his body can go through this. The CH are already trying to get him referred back to Mental Health as the medication they give him for his anxiety does not work anymore. I feel so helpless and don't know how to help anymore x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Lucy

I think you are doing all you can possibly do to help your dad but although I`m sure your presence helps him more than you realise, sadly it`s only the medics who can help ease his symptoms.

It`s very painful watching those we love suffer so much. I do hope some medication can be prescribed to help him. It does look as if the care home is doing what they can too but it wouldn`t do any harm if you could contact the MHT too and let them know how distressed you are.

Lucy1978

May 8, 2017
Thank you Sylvia , I really appreciate your comment. I think I will get in touch with the MHT its just so frustrating as they 'discharged' him last month so he effectively has to start that part of the process again. Thanks again xxx