Feel Really Down, being selfish again

JJWB

Aug 10, 2009
Hi
I haven't posted for 2 years since Mum died, it was August. I still cannot get over the feeling I let her get on with it and didn't do anything to help her physical problems that developed as a result of dementia, all because I was so selfish and afraid of seeing her and her not knowing me. No matter what everyone said at the time and since, I will never forgive myself as her only daughter, I should have put my foot down with Dad and done something about the situation with the useless carers who got away with murder. I just kept thinking I couldn't do something off my own back without getting approval from my brothers, although I shouldn't have thought of that and just got on with it.

Now it is 2 years on and I have been trying to get a life, I didn't work for years after my son was born, have done a little temping but not worked for year now. Had an interview 2 months ago for a permanent job and was actually offered it - but I was so shocked that my nerves took over and I turned it down. I realised soon after what an idiot I have been, I will never get another chance at my age. Then I think of Mum, she used to do all sorts to make ends meet, cleaning, fruit picking, and I have let her down and my family - we could do with some extra money. What is wrong with me? I really need my Mum, I was always closer to her than Dad, her advice is really needed. She would have helped me. I am crying now as I have a lonely day until my husband and son come in from work, I do things at home and get out every day, take Dad to GP etc., go swimming and gym but find I am on my own as everyone goes with someone. I meet up with a friend very occasionally for lunch. Butit is all my fault and I had the chance to change it all. I need a job for the social aspect too - the one I was offered sounded a great opportunity but I just panicked. I could kick myself for being back where I started.

All that has nothing to do with Mum but she is always in my mind and I visit her more now at her grave now she is dead than when she was alive. I lost her a few years before her death really as she changed about 2 years before she died really.

Sorry to go on, I know I am being selfish, as I was when she was alive. I just am not getting over her dying at all. I went to a show with that famous psychic woman last year in the hope I would get a message, but nothing happened. I think daft things, like does dementia carry over 'to the other side'? Sorry, I must come across as a very strange person, maybe I am. I just don't know how I am going to cope with life like this, we would like to change things in our life like moving but it is very difficult at the moment. I think that I do not want to move far from where Mum is which is probably not healthy but it is how I feel.

I don't know why I am telling you all this but I feel quite desperate, hopeless and useless right now.
Sorry.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I'm sorry you are feeling so down
just an idea have you tried writing a letter explaining it all to your mum then asking her forgiveness and then burn the letter so that you can draw a line under it.
i know it might sound a bit cookie cuckoo whats the word:eek:
well you know what i mean I'm sure your Mum would have been forgiving, given the opportunity.
Lots of support Sarah

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi there.

Have you spoken to your GP about the way you feel? Because to me, you sound as if you might be clinically depressed. I'm just going by what you said and relating it to my own symptoms when not medicated, but it sounds an awful lot like it.

At the risk of sounding daft myself, I do talk to my mother (who died in 2007) when I have a particularly hard decision to make. I don't really think she's there listening, but I have found it helps. So when you feel the need of your mother's advice, why not just go somewhere quiet and have a little chat with her?

Please, also consider the medical route. Grieving is normal and there is absolutely no set length of time but if you are clinically depressed you are unlikely to get better on your own.

Best wishes