Father with Dementia sent to prison

cata3rd

Dec 17, 2014
Hi! My dad has dementia. Even thought the courts knew he had dementia, they placed him in prison. We have been unable to find a nursing care facility or hospital that will take him. We are monetarily tapped out because he racked up a lot of debt and the cost of the lawyers and the high bail that was set. Augh... I have people from the Public Defender's office helping us and we still can not find a hospital or facility to admit him. We are almost at the point where we will have to delve into further debt, post the bail and try to manage my dad at our home. I fear for my dad's health and well being. Any thoughts or suggestions.

-Dementia daughter in PA

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
Is that Palo Alto, California?

Most of us on this forum are based in the UK, though we do have a smattering of members in the USA.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi cata3rd
I take it from the expressions you use you're in the USA? In the UK someone like your Dad would only ever end up in jail in the most extreme of circumstances and it would have to be very extreme. Prisons aren't the right place for people with dementia, sending him there is helping no one. I can only wish you the best of luck and hope the justice system comes to its senses and something gets sorted out very soon.
K

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
In actual fact there is a high percentage of prisoners in UK jails with mental health disorders.

We don't get it right in the UK either.

I hope you are able to find a free advocacy service that will help you, there are some that exist in the US.

I would keep your Dad in the system as long as you're able, rather than bringing him home.
If he's home, he will disappear to the system and you will be left to pick up all the pieces.

Very best of luck.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think that means you're in Pennsylvania.

So you're father is currently in jail because he can't pay his bail? I assume you have contacted bail bondsmen?

Part of the problem is if what he is accused of doing is related to his dementia, it's possible he will re-offend, and even if it isn't, he may not (because of the dementia) be able to conform to the terms of his probation. So he's not going to look like a good risk for bail.

I'm sorry to sound so hopeless, but it sounds to me as if his best bet is to get him to trial ASAP and hope there is a secure hospital that may be able to house him should he be found guilty.

You could try posting to this forum http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/

They aren't touchy-feely, but they can give US based advice for the legal issue, although they probably won't know much about dementia.