Falling out of bed

Sue123

Aug 30, 2014
Nottingham
Hello everyone.
I havent posted on here in ages but often read some of the posts.
My Mum lives with me & has Alzheimers. I would say she is in the later stages as she has had it for many years & is definitely getting worse.
She often used to fall out of bed but more recently it is happening every night.
She has a special bed already but this is being changed to a "floor bed" so it is lower to the floor.
We have a crash mat in place & also an alarm system which alerts me when she is out of bed.
Sometimes after i have put her back in,she falls a second time!
Im just wondering what to do for the best. I know bed rails arent recommended but surely falling every night isnt good for her either???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum is in care and I know they have beds that can be lowered to the floor and crash pads for the ones that are prone to falling.
Not sure if this is a possibility or potentially troublesome as a rail?
When my children were small and to prevent them from falling out of bed I would get a blanket and roll it lengthways and place it on the edge of the mattress and tuck the bottom sheet over and under to form a barrier and was just enough to prevent them from rolling straight over and off.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The problem with rails is, if PWD ( or anyone for that matter!) decided they were getting out, rails or no rails, they would get out, clambering over the top of the rails, which of course makes for disaster!

I don't really think there is very much more you can do, other than put the mattress on the floor

Sue123

Aug 30, 2014
Nottingham
Thanks for the suggestions. Her new floor bed has been delivered so will see how she goes in that tonight.
I've already spoken to the OT. It was actually her who suggested the bed,crash mat & sensor pad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T