Faking Alzheimers

JT13

Aug 9, 2006
I wouldn't know if in any of your cases, can prepare for Dementia. However, in my case, I can to a certain degree. Remembering to factor in her character prior to Dementia, at the moment she still exhibits her character. It's a mixture of knowing when she's falsifying the symptoms and when it's really Dementia. After some time, I've begun to learn. Learning from how her actions are, the way she looks with her eyes, we have learned when she's faking it and not.

Some have said that Dementia has actually hindered her ability to plot and manipulate to an extreme degree, hence it's a blessing in disguise. With Dementia, she's learned to say her "thank you's" occasionally instead of snubbing off at others when something nice is done for her.

I can only come to a conclusion as such since I didn't know how she was like prior to Dementia. That i've only been told that she was much worst before Dementia set in.

The only symptoms that we can conclude her having now with Dementia is very little memory loss. When we once thought she had a more severe stage of Dementia, we were wrong.

Yes, we can now plan a little for the future. As she is almost fully capable, we do not need to put her in a nursing anytime soon. It's a good thing to be able to know where she's at with Dementia.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Karen isnt it ironic

I was pretty sure my Mother had Lewy Body because of the wild swings from one extreme to the other

When in fact once a CT scan was done it proved to be Vascular Dementia and proves that a hospital she was admitted to 4 years after collapsing were grossly negligent

The paramedics 4 yrs ago said it was a mini stroke ..........yet the hospital swore black was white was purple that it was not .

You can bet I am following that one up

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
lottsa what is said here is correct,and wrong and correct

hello,wish my wife was faking the dreaded AD,but !! sometimes she reacts as if she is taking the P**H outa me and the rest of my family(wish she was)but thats how this illness goes from my experience,she has good days bad days,and even worse days,I will give you an example all through this illness my daughter who has been the very best a dad can ever have hope for she has supported her mum and me all the way nothing is ever a problem wth that,but time and time again when I turn up after she has been with my daughter all day,my wife suddenly turns on the tears and tantrums,as this has been going on for about 5 years now oh!! how i wish she was pretending!!! it even a little,but unfortunately she is not,its just the way this illness is..

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Karen

Just caught up with this thread.

Karen you are doing the best you can, and it is more than enough. Time Super Sis stepped in to give you a break. Your mum has two daughters, why should you shoulder all the load/take responsibility for your mum, it isn't right.

I agree 100% with Hazel, I would be very tempted to arrive at Super Sis with mum and her suitcase, what's the worse she can do, tell you to take her home again, well, you would be no worse off.

It is time you had some fun with your own family, you wont be getting these years with them back again, maybe worth a go?

In any event, you are a superhero, be kind to yourself, and stop beating yourself up, if my son turns out to be as kind as you, I will consider myself very rich indeed.

Love
Cate xx

Helena

May 24, 2006
Karen

You need to think laterally

order a taxi to take your Mother to S sis and tell him to just deliver her

Meanwhile you go off out and enjoy

Turn off the phone and let S sis get on with it

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Karen, I can`t offer any more support than you`ve already had from everyone else, but I too think you`ve been , and are being brilliant.
Can I add one suggestion that has worked for me, just a little. My son said he believes his father is now unable to have a rational discussion or make a logical decision. In that case, there`s no point in trying to explain or put a point forward.
Whenever my husband becomes argumentative or makes statements I can`t cope with, I either agree with him, ie `yes dear` or ignore him and go into another room. He then either, forgets all about whatever it was, or comes to find me, usually in a concillatory manner. Even if he can`t remember, he knows if I`m fed up with him and doesn`t like it.
Your mother is well aware how much she depends on you. She should be trying to please you, even in the smallest way. I know it sounds awful, but I`ve really tried to distance myself from all the aggro. It`s made me a bit harder but it`s a coping strategy I`d recommend.
Keep your chin up karen. Love Sylvia x