Failed discharge from hospital - what happens next?

Ponddweller

Jun 20, 2019
Hello all,
My 92 year old FIL being cared for at home f/t by 84 year old MIL has been in hospital for a urinary infection for a week. He has a catheter and fiddles with the bag a lot so I think this is how the infections keep occurring. They managed to clear it and he was discharged late on Tuesday night. On Wednesday morning MIL and then also her cleaner were unable to get him sitting up. He just didn’t seem to have the ability. Eventually paramedics were called and though they managed to get him on his feet after about 90 mins they said they couldn’t safely leave him at home so he’s gone straight back to the same medical ward. I went in with her today to help and the nurse suggested that they’d try done occupational therapy to see if they can restore some mobility but then they’d have to reassess. This could take a while m thinking, with him declining in hospital all the time. Does anyone have any advice on what we need to ask about or press for? And what should happen before a discharge should be attempted again. Is there a standard procedure? Tbh I think MIL has had a bit of breathing space to see how much the caring is taking out of her even though he’s been a relatively easy PWD and that now residential care might be the best choice for her longer term health. I just want her to be able to make her to have the knowledge and confidence to make her own choice though. They’ll be self funding. FIL is a lovely gentle soul. He’s sleeping for long parts of the day and needs lots of prompting to eat and drink. He’s not keen on doing much but is keen on pulling out his cannula and trying to escape. Any advice gratefully received!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
One if the first things they gave my husband in hospital was a fiddle/fidget mat to stop him fidgeting with medical tubes etc. It was a great success and he wouldn’t be parted from it. After a month when the hospital wanted to discharge him they said he would either be sent to an assessment ward or to a nursing home for 4 weeks to see if he needed permanent care or could be sent home. In fact he died a short time after going into the nursing home.

I was talking to a local craft group about these fidget mats and they have now included them in the range of items they make to distribute to hospitals. You can buy them online but his hospital might have some too.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hello all,
My 92 year old FIL being cared for at home f/t by 84 year old MIL has been in hospital for a urinary infection for a week. He has a catheter and fiddles with the bag a lot so I think this is how the infections keep occurring. They managed to clear it and he was discharged late on Tuesday night. On Wednesday morning MIL and then also her cleaner were unable to get him sitting up. He just didn’t seem to have the ability. Eventually paramedics were called and though they managed to get him on his feet after about 90 mins they said they couldn’t safely leave him at home so he’s gone straight back to the same medical ward. I went in with her today to help and the nurse suggested that they’d try done occupational therapy to see if they can restore some mobility but then they’d have to reassess. This could take a while m thinking, with him declining in hospital all the time. Does anyone have any advice on what we need to ask about or press for? And what should happen before a discharge should be attempted again. Is there a standard procedure? Tbh I think MIL has had a bit of breathing space to see how much the caring is taking out of her even though he’s been a relatively easy PWD and that now residential care might be the best choice for her longer term health. I just want her to be able to make her to have the knowledge and confidence to make her own choice though. They’ll be self funding. FIL is a lovely gentle soul. He’s sleeping for long parts of the day and needs lots of prompting to eat and drink. He’s not keen on doing much but is keen on pulling out his cannula and trying to escape. Any advice gratefully received!

My mother-in-law was admitted to hospital during the heatwave in 2018 with severe dehydration and her mobility was almost non existent. She was discharged after OT assessment with physiotherapy calls to be put in place . I knew that this was going to be a waste of time. My mother-in-law had a long history of mental health conditions and had always refused to cooperate with professionals. She had lost the ability to even put one foot in front of her. She was readmitted after 3 falls in one day and my husband decided that a care home was the best decision for her.

Mos Daft

Jun 10, 2022
Hello all,
I’ve had to have a catheter a few times and 1 time it didn’t go in far enough, basically the very young doctor was leary of handling another man’s penis B.O.N.! However, it stung (probably because my urine was very strong also, but I’d guess it would have been uncomfortable even at normal strength. Maybe your FIL is suffering from something similar and does not have the wherewithal to explain what is wrong…