Extremely hard week

Allym

Jan 16, 2019
Hi
I am new to this forum so my apologies if I am writing on the wrong thread.
this week has been extremely hard for us, my partners mother who is 60 was diagnosed 4 years ago with dementia, she is now in a home with people a lot older than her, but the last few weeks have taken a turn for the worst, speech is now going, and ability to talk to us.
her mood swings and aner have always been bad since the diagnosis, but this week its as if she is almost drugged up and not with it, she refused to brush he teeth, and take her shoes off for bed, it is so difficult not to get angry and frustrated.
we got told today that my partners sister is moving to USA in one month so from then she only has the 2 of us. we are in our late 20's and really struggling this week.
any advice of cheering my partner up? its awful to say but we dread seeing her every week.
Thanks
x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the Talking Point, Ally. Sorry your partner's mum has taken a turn for the worse, just as his sister has to move. Has your partner's mum been tested for a UTI infection recently as that like any illness can make dementia worse. Sorry I can't really offer any ways to cheer you up, but you will find plenty of support on here.

Allym

Jan 16, 2019
Thank you for you kind words and help with the post,
nae- I will look in to the UTI infection, its hard to tell whether it is a separate illness or just dementia getting worse.
and im sure things will cheer up was just having a bad day I think :)

I don't suppose anyone has advice on what if any activities we can now do with her now. she just sits in her chair now with no interaction. she cant watch tv, or draw or anything physical, we have tried music and go on small walks but hate turning up at the home and finding her just sitting there doing nothing.
she "claims" she cant see but we are 90% sure she can (we have had numerous eye sight tests) so struggle to find activities she can do.

Thank you,
the forum is very helpful

Allym

Jan 16, 2019
Hi Nae

Thank you very much for this, it was actually really helpful, as it says in the article I think B's lack on interest is actually more of an impact on us than it is a bother for her, which is what I was most worried about.
Thank you again

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree that it's probably a problem in interpreting and focussing on what she sees, rather than actually seeing. I try to visit my mother during the Music For Health session so she's occupied with that (she still enjoys music). If not, I take a magazine and look through it with her. She can still read the headlines - she has no idea what they mean, but she recites them. However she often doesn't seem to know what the pictures are so I have to talk her through it - animal pictures are popular. I am often in effect talking to myself, I doubt she gets much enjoyment from it - me neither, it's difficult to visit when there is so little communication or response.