Extraordinary improvement in mental capacity following medication change.

Hope2

Jan 5, 2012
Can anyone report any similar experiences and does it provide clues about further treatment?

My husband has late stage dementia but a few weeks ago, experienced a totally unexpected return of mental capacity. The changes were dramatic and do not fit with usual explanations of dementia being a progressive illness resulting from irreversible changes in the brain. We saw the real person again as he regained abilities that had slowly disappeared as the illness developed. He became aware of what was going on around him, engaged with family and friends, initiated conversation, started eating small amounts of normal food, could understand cause and effect and was extremely motivated to improve his situation through exercise and eating. As a final bonus he regained full continence! There was however a drawback in that he became very shaky and unsteady.

This all happened immediately after a change of anti-emetic from Metoclopramide to Cyclizine. Because of the physical side-effects, the Cyclizine dose was halved after a few days and this coincided with a slow loss of many of the mental improvements as well as the physical problems. Returning to a full Cyclizine dose did not change this. The GP concluded that stopping the Metoclopramide rather than introducing the Cyclizine had caused the change and has since (vainly) tried to ‘mimic’ something of its interaction with dopamine by introducing ropinerole.

Over the few weeks since this happened my husband has deteriorated very rapidly and is now infinitely worse than he was before the improvement took place.

Has anyone else seen anything similar happen? Does it offer any clues about further treatment?
His mental capacity had been buried for years and no-one would have believed it was still there, yet a few short weeks ago it returned to the surface. Can we unlock it again?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I take Metoproclamide for migraine to help with the absorption of the codeine. I have taken it for many years. It doesn't seem to cause me any side effects.

Did the improvement last many days?
It's just that years ago, my mother, who was suffering from AD, had a fall down the stairs and was thought to be near death. The following day, she rallied and then had the most wonderful day. She was calm, coherent and happy. She was so much the person she had been before the AD hit her. Towards the end of the day, she started to become more agitated and by the following day was back to the way she usually was at that time. She lived another few months but the memopry of that lovely day spent with her towards the end has never left me. Strange things do happen and much less was known about dementia then, 30 years ago than is known now.

I don't know if you will manage to unlock the barrier again. It would be wonderful if you could find the way to do this.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I've also read on TP of similar short term improvements following seizures . It's cruel, isn't it.