Exhausted carers

Heather55

Feb 21, 2024
Hello with my husbands help we are caring for my 83 year old sister in law. We live 60 miles away but are visiting 3 times a week to keep her safe and to check she is eating. Also to take her to appointments. We are exhausted. As yet no diagnosis. She has told social services she is fine and can look after herself so they say no action necessary. Daily she loses keys and thinks her phone is broken. There are papers everywhere and the house is very cluttered and untidy. How do we get any help to keep her safe?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hi @Heather55 I’m not surprised you feel exhausted . Do you know if you SIL would be self funding? If so and she is agreeable, you could get someone in to help her out and wouldn’t need to wait for ss to get involved.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Heather55

You could make a diary of the times she loses her keys and thinks her phone is broken together with any other worrying behaviours.

You could include photos of her cluttered and untidy house I’m not sure if this would be considered an invasion of her privacy or not and it does depend on accepted standards. If she is at risk in her clutter it could hold weight.

The fact you are making such a long round trip to visit might also leave her vulnerable if you were to withhold those visits which you are not legally required to make.

Sometimes we have to be ruthless in order to be listened to

Heather55

Feb 21, 2024
Welcome @Heather55

You could make a diary of the times she loses her keys and thinks her phone is broken together with any other worrying behaviours.

You could include photos of her cluttered and untidy house I’m not sure if this would be considered an invasion of her privacy or not and it does depend on accepted standards. If she is at risk in her clutter it could hold weight.

The fact you are making such a long round trip to visit might also leave her vulnerable if you were to withhold those visits which you are not legally required to make.

Sometimes we have to be ruthless in order to be listened to
We are recording events and neighbours comments. Shectells us she is fine!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Shectells us she is fine!
Im afraid that this is extremely common in dementia. They lose self insight and are unable to see that they have changed. They think that they are still doing everything that they used to and that there is nothing wrong with them. It is one of the hardest symptoms of dementia to deal with IMO