Exercising LPA for a Dementia parent

Cabey

Mar 22, 2024
Hi everyone. I have LPA for finance & property for my father. Care is getting very expensive and he has a number of overseas properties, one of which someone wants to buy. We could do with the money to pay for his care but he does not want to sell it. Would LPA enable me to sell it for him to pay for his care? He does not want to sign anything.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Cabey, and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. Having LPA should allow you to sell your father’s property. I sold my mother’s in the UK using it. You probably need a solicitor that understands selling property abroad and the LPA system but that shouldn’t be too difficult.
This is a very friendly and supportive community with lots of knowledgeable members, so I’m sure someone who knows more about the topic will be along shortly with their imput.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @Cabey We are in the process of selling our friend’s house to fund his care home fees. We took the original LPA into the solicitor for him to make a verified copy and are signing documents on our friend’s behalf. He has lost capacity , so we haven’t even told him about it, as we know he would be very upset and there’s really no point. I would say , hard though it is, your Dad trusted you to do the right thing for him when he made you his attorney, and you are simply carrying out a business transaction to ensure his continued stay in his care home. I hope it all goes well.