Eviction notice

Piper12

Nov 20, 2021
For the last 4 weeks I’ve had my OH in a care home, yesterday they called me and told me they were serving him with a 4 week eviction notice. They are insisting that he have 1 to 1 support for the 4 week at a cost of £1600 extra a week. He’s been evicted due to aggression I understand that they have a duty of care but am annoyed to find they haven’t been giving him his sedation that has been prescribed for that reason

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Piper12
Im sorry you are going to have to look for another home all over again. This certainly doesnt seem to be the right home if they cant even get his medication right.

I believe that you are self-funding, yes? I think you will have to look for a home that will accept "challenging behaviour" - probably an EMI home. When you contact them speak to the manager and be brutally honest about what he is like on a bad day - you dont want to have to move him again. Also ask them what sort of behaviour they would not tolerate, which will also give you an idea of whether he would have to move again.

There will be somewhere for him
xxx

Piper12

Nov 20, 2021
Hi canary yes we are self funding so have to find a new home ourselves and you are right this time we have to get this right as i know that this will upset him again. Thank you for your advise I will work on a list of questions to ask over the weekend as I don’t suppose i will get anything from my enquiries tomorrow.

Piper12

Nov 20, 2021
Hi Canary

thank you for you suggestions they are very helpful. Yes we are self funding at the moment and I find the lack of input from social services very frustrating and it’s not helped by the fact we keep having to go through the duty social worker.
I will use this weekend to make notes on how he can be on a bad day and also any questions I feel need asking, as the last thing I want is to have to keep moving him.

piper 12 xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes we are self funding at the moment and I find the lack of input from social services very frustrating
Unfortunately, if you are self-funding you are pretty much left to get on with it yourself.

Another thing to mention is that when you go and look around a home try and look past the decor. Is having a bar, bistro, cinema, and spa really appropriate? The home mum was in was a bit shabby and old-fashioned, but it had a homely feel, was clean and the care was wonderful. Look to see how the carers react and interact with the residents. Look to see if there are any times or places when the residents are left unsupervised. If the home will be able to look after him right up to the end that means that there will be people at all stages of dementia - including very advanced stages - living there that you will see.