Evicted for Christmas

Rustytabitha

Jul 28, 2010
Reading
Hi, my mum lives in a nursing home. She has three lovely friends and a nice room. She was badly malnourished due to neglect in her last care home but has doubled her weight in this one and is happy. My husband and I visit every other day and also provide free entertainment in the form of music and craft. We are popular with staff and residents alike.
We lost the manager and over 21/2 years someone not qualified took over and ruled by shouting, threatening and cutting corners. People left accordingly but she developed a conspiracy of silence and nobody wanted to whistle blow as a result.
Care plans were neglected, staff shortages meant sometimes they were down to 3 or 4 at a shift to cope with 35 nursing patients. Or they worked 24 hours. Moving and handling was all wrong with the same sling used for all and illegal drag lifts were common.
Then I was told mum needed to see the hygienist. Took months for them to arrange as it turned out they hadn't cleaned her teeth at all in 2.5 years with resulting tooth decay. So we went to Safeguarding about the short staff and mums dentist went re the bad teeth and gums. The bad stand in manager even tried to coerce the dentist to hand over his notes so she could cover up. ("don't tell the family!")
The eviction letter was hand posted through our door. No chance to discuss, no talking to mum, nothing! The reason?! We had gone to Safeguarding and therefore wasted valuable management time! (They are charging that back to us!) Even though there is still a Safeguarding Red flag against the home!
The clock is ticking although Safeguarding have raised a section 42 safeguarding concern re mum I am prepared for the worst. Mum is a sweetie; she was 95 last week and has a broken hip so cannot walk and aphasia (no speech) due to a stroke 6 years ago.
Please help! Has anyone else had a similar thing happen. It seems like profit before people again. Talk of shareholders etc.....

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
What a terrible situation for your mum and you. However from your description whilst recognising nobody wants to move their pwd unless absolutely crucial, it doesn't seem to me that this is a good nursing home for your mum to be in and I would be pushing for a move. The problems you have reported won't be solved without a change in manager.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
And a change in Manager could take a long time, please don't hesitate and find another home for your mum. When you have done this and your mum is out of that place. then make all your concerns official, Local Authority, cqc and the owners of this place, can't bring myself to call it a 'home'.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Who owns the home?

If the manager does, then I can't see any way out of the current mess.

If she's an employee, it may be worth investigating whether the owner intends to continue running the home and whether there are immediate plans to suspend the manager and recruit a replacement. In your shoes, I'd want a cast iron guarantee that the home will be run better within the next month, otherwise I'd be hunting for somewhere else ... immediately.

The eviction notice may be a bit of bullying by the manager. If she can't be bypassed and the owner isn't a very active someone with a very different approach then you wouldn't want your Mum to stay there would you?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Refer the whole matter to social services by on-line (not by phone) reporting her as a vulnerable adult and ask them to assess the situation. it doesn't matter if she's self funding or not, she is a vulnerable adult and it is social services legal responsibility to ensure she is in a safe place.
Don't be afraid to copy your local MP in on what's happening nor indeed the BBC, You and Yours and Watchdog are the obvious 2 places to go to along with the person listed as the: Registered Manager, the Registered Manager and the Responsible individual all of whom will be named on the CQC report on the home, it's easy enough to get an e-mail address for most of these people and if it is part of a group the management of the group too.
Forget the manager, she's just a hired flunky go for the people that matter, this story deserves some publicity (if you're happy to do that) otherwise the abuse and cover ups will never end.
K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandy21