epilepsy and alzheimer's and dementia

jax

Mar 2, 2005
My dad was diagnosed with dementia and alzheimer's last summer, he's had mild cognitive impairment for around 7 years, has had epilepsy for 42 years and has had brain surgeries. He can't take medication for dementia or Alzheimer's as he'd have to come off one of his anti epilepsy meds which would mean him fitting a lot but I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. He's always been forgetful, has never been independent and can't go out alone so in that sense, he's not lost freedoms because of the diagnosis but because he's always been forgetful and confuses easily it's difficult to know what stage he's at.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry to read about your dad @jax. It must be a big worry.

I`ve heard of people with dementia having seizures as dementia progresses but not of people who had epilepsy first followed by dementia.

It would be difficult to tell what stage your dad is at because some of his behaviours have been long term. Even without epilepsy, the stages often overlap and are a very rough guide.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi @jax
Yes the medications can’t be given together.

While there are medications that can be given for Alzheimers, did you know they don’t prescribe any medication for Vascular Dementia?
and there is no such thing as a ‘wonder medication ‘ when it comes to any Dementia. I would not worry too much about the medication.

There are rough statistics for the different stages of Dementia, but if you hang around the site for a few weeks you will realise there is no such thing as ‘ one size fits all’. Some dementias come on at great speed and others very slowly.

Hopefully someone with similar issues will spot your post. Also if you put the word epilepsy in the search bar above you can call up some older posts that may be of interest.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @jax

My OH has epilepsy due to a road accident 25 years ago and takes a lot of medication for his epilepsy, although it cant be fully controlled.

There isnt much that can be done for dementia, Im afraid. You can give nedication to help symptoms, but nothing can slow down the progression of dementia, much less reverse it and sometims it doesnt make any difference. No-one want to give OH extra medication at all, because he is taking so much in the of ant-epileptics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann